• Register
  • Help

Topic: I wrote this song for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day

Share/Bookmark

I wrote this song for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day

i don't really have much to say about this song (click on Valentine) other than i wrote it for my girlfriend on valentines day. i know, pretty lame... but tell me what you think. (criticism welcomed). thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: I wrote this song for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day

Keith,

That was very nice. Has a lot of power and emotion in it. Could be a movie score. Good job.

Keith - no, it is not lame! - just romantic! Although yes, it does sound like a movie score, it has all the power and emotion for a great valentine. Movie scores are all about mood and expression of feelings (you were thinking of your relationship with her while you were writing it-right?)

You do have a talent for scoring or putting together musical ideas that make good musical sense. I hope that you will continue to develop this. I wish I had your sense with this type of music. I remember doing something similar for a past valentine and my wife at the time started talking to me 5 seconds into the song about something else. The music was more contemporary/New age etc. People just don't realize what time, effort and resources go into producing even a short piece of music. Kind of like going to hear a band and people keep talking through part of the performance.

From a more tecky point of view, what I was hearing on my end was a fairly muffled sound. (coming from the next room - sort of) I don't know if 'my space' is dumbing down the sound quality or whether you just recorded it that way but I'm sure this score would really sparkle if given the chance.

Thanks for sharing - maybe other spouses in this forum will do the same for next Valentine's day.

Del

thanks for the comments. its funny that you mentioned movie scores, because thats the type of music i always try and write (i guess you can't escape what you really love doing).

and to del, i agree that the sound is somwhat muffled. i'm not the best at mixing - i tend to throw in too much reverb, and i have no idea how to do the eq. that song was written and mixed on a pc (overture for writing and sonar for mixing), but i just purchased a mac and i think that logic express will help me a lot with mixing (that is if NI ever makes it so i can use GPO).

but anyway, thanks for the comments - and if anyone has any suggestion or technical tips i'd greatly appreciate them.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

A warm welcome to the forum, Keith!

Some excellent broad strokes and cinematic writing,
    Keith; and an able command of orchestral resources.

I do sense you struggling a bit -- but not with the
    writing:
    more with control of the tools.

In Valentine, for instance, I think I'd suggest
    backing off reverb. It's good, strong, dramatic material,
    so don't bury it. I'd also have a look at end-to-end
    dynamic range on this.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This piece has a grand scale to it. I agree with js33 that this could be a movie track. I enjoyed the orchestration.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum