• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions on Westgate F.horns

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on Westgate F.horns

Hi,
    does anyone have opinions on Westgate F.horns library its $70.00 at present which seems very cheap.

Dean

Re: Opinions on Westgate F.horns

Quote Originally Posted by dean valentine
    Hi,
    does anyone have opinions on Westgate F.horns library its $70.00 at present which seems very cheap.

Dean

i really hope the 4 horns section will be great so i can replace my project sam's horn section!!

Hi,
    are you not happy SamBrass in general ot just the horns?

Hi,
    are you not happy SamBrass in general ot just the horns?

hi,
    Sam Brass is fantastic....the only problem that i have is with the horns section...they don't sound "big" like Epic Horns.....but at the same time Epic Horns can't sound "small" (Epic horns is 8 french horns in unison) ...so what i hope is that Westgate Horns section will give me the opportunity to have both, delicate and huge sound!!! ...Also Westgate solo Horn has a beautiful legato

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    hi,
    Sam Brass is fantastic....the only problem that i have is with the horns section...they don't sound "big" like Epic Horns.....but at the same time Epic Horns can't sound "small" (Epic horns is 8 french horns in unison) ...so what i hope is that Westgate Horns section will give me the opportunity to have both, delicate and huge sound!!! ...Also Westgate solo Horn has a beautiful legato
    Really???? I think Sam horns sound pretty big myself. I don't mean to patronize here but most famous orchestral works only use 4 Frech Horns. Aside from Wagner and Bruckner (maybe a little Mahler) 8 French Horns are rare. One because when you get that many horns playing unison they have the knack of cacking. Oh well, now I'm gonna have to check this demo out for myself...heh heh heh.

Thanks.Hopefully the DVD and 4horn artics are ready soon.Anyone know when?

Dean.

Hi,

Dean
    I just looked at the website. That $70 is the Solo Horn ONLY. It says you can upgrade to the full package on DVD minus the $70. I didn't find the full price.

Correct. The download is the solo horn only. The price on the full set hasn't yet been announced. According to Tim, the DVD price will be a bit higher than the previous DVDs ($100 for the oboes; $130 for the flutes), because it will have much more content.

Tim has written about the full horns lib having solo, two and four horns with deep sampling of muted and stopped sets. For people wanting a huge and human sound, I would think that layering would be great (1+2+4 = 7 horns)

The solo horn sounds fantastic, offering five dynamic layer legato patches that are super playable. Unlike most sampled horns, this one includes the delay as the note builds up from one note to the next that a real horn player has to manage. The result is that on super fast passages, it doesn't sound like a keyboard. It sounds like a horn player who is really pushing his instrument. Fast runs don't just sound quick, they give the feel of a vituosic challenge.

Of course, you can just use the sustain patches, if you prefer the sound of a keyboard patch.

Some of the best samples in the package are the repeated notes. They are recorded at a variety of speeds - both double and triple tongue - and are perfect for action cues. The timing is accurate enough that you can play chords and the repeats line up nicely. So even though this is a solo horn, if you play chords, you now have a section.

You can hear the repeats when the rear door of the van opens here:

http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00030301#3

The trumpets and trombone sections are VSL-Giga, but the horns are pure Westgate. Sometimes I double the brass, but the horns are the only brass panned to the left.

Enjoy!

Nothing has a size of its own. If something appears too small, might it be that the surroundings are too big?
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum