• Register
  • Help

Topic: HALion Symphony Orchestra re-evaluated

Share/Bookmark

HALion Symphony Orchestra re-evaluated

I've had this library for a month and you know what? It's actually pretty damn good. The oboe is quite beautiful. The solo strings have some nice bite and the brass aren't too shabby. For $250 (I upgraded from HALion String Edition 1) this is a dynamite value. 27 gigs of 24 bit and 16 bit samples. The only downside is that I cannot play the sounds on my Intel Mac (yet), so I have to slave my PC to my iMac to record everything. Not a big deal since I have things connected by SPDIF so it's all digital. Out from my Delta 24/96 into my MOTU UltraLite (that sound card rocks BTW).

Anyhow, I don't quite understand why people dislike this library but perhaps it's because the demos aren't as flattering as actually working with the sounds. like I said, I'll post some of my own stuff so you guys can make up your own minds.

Re: HALion Symphony Orchestra re-evaluated

I don't think people have anything against the library itself, i think they have a problem with halion. I would jump on it if i could import it in Kontakt 2.

davecos,
    I see you have other orchestras -- are you saying that, based on your experience, Halion orchestra sound would be a good alternative to them? I can only afford one orchestra, so I am looking for the best 'all around' program in my price range. The other factor is the user interface. Is the functionality of Halion same, better, worse than the others you have? I did read a reveiw about Halion (don't recall where) that said it was not the most friendly to use, and took some getting used to. Being an amateur without any professional aspirations, I have started considering Halion, Miroslav, or Garritan (particularly attractive due to lower price) for my PC. I'm a ways away from making my decision and I intend to try their demos, but your opinon would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by spallen
    davecos,
    I see you have other orchestras -- are you saying that, based on your experience, Halion orchestra sound would be a good alternative to them? I can only afford one orchestra, so I am looking for the best 'all around' program in my price range. The other factor is the user interface. Is the functionality of Halion same, better, worse than the others you have? I did read a reveiw about Halion (don't recall where) that said it was not the most friendly to use, and took some getting used to. Being an amateur without any professional aspirations, I have started considering Halion, Miroslav, or Garritan (particularly attractive due to lower price) for my PC. I'm a ways away from making my decision and I intend to try their demos, but your opinon would be welcome.
    Hi spallen, I was in the same situation as you in that I had a limited amount of money to purchase a orchestral library. In the end I decided to go for HSO but found out that they offer a much cheaper upgrade price if you own any other orchestral library. So I got Miroslav Philharmonik as well purely so I could take advantage of this offer. I have not been disappointed with HSO at all. The strings are 1st class, the woodwinds are good and the brass is O.K. I intend on getting project sam brass to supplement HSO strings and woodwind.
    All things considered I think HSO is a great choice for a first library that can then be added to as needed in the future.

If you click on the link in my signature you can here my first piece using HSO. 90% of the samples are HSO.

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Kev, I thought your piece was very nice. I have never thought about this library. Have to take a look into it.. What are your thoughts on the Miroslav? I also purchased this, and glad I did..Joseph.

Nice work Kevin!

Well done, Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by spallen
    The other factor is the user interface. Is the functionality of Halion same, better, worse than the others you have? I did read a reveiw about Halion (don't recall where) that said it was not the most friendly to use, and took some getting used to.
    Halion comes in a few different variations. I bet the revew you read was about Halion 3, which is the big Tamale. The combination of editing possibilities with that GUI is not the best, and does take some time to get used to.

But Halion is also available as an easy to use 'Halion Player'. The difference between Halion and Halion player is - as the name implies - that the player is intended for playing back your sounds rather than editing them; pretty much like the difference between NI Kontakt and Kompakt. It's the editing that is the slightly picky part in Halion. Halion Player is actually very intuitive and easy to use. You can have a look at the interface on Steinberg's site.

Halion Symphony Orchestra comes enclosed in the Halion Player Interface - not the 'big' Halion interface. It's quite a difference, particularly if you're a beginner.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum