• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A short little piece for strings, brass, harp, piano

Share/Bookmark

A short little piece for strings, brass, harp, piano

I wrote this a couple days ago, it is not my normal thing, but I am proud of it none the less.

http://www.fupduckonline.com/secret-...te-con-voi.mp3
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: A short little piece for strings, brass, harp, piano

Beatiful job on this, Jess... there's a sense of
    floating, gliding through air, in this that's quite
    distinctive and engaging; predominantly in the
    opening, but likewise through the whole piece.

Very skillful handling of harmonic motion in this,
    and the coloristic writing, the Impressionistic
    feeling of it is quite effective.

It seems, though, to my ear, that this piece
    wants to be taken further, developed more.
    Perhaps you would consider expanding on it?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A nice, slow suggestive piece. The string pad sounds very nice. I also like the harmonic movement.
    -Jay

Hi Jess, haven't seen you for a while!

I really enjoyed this piece, especially the arpeggios by the harp and the overall harmonies... they just graciously floated into one another. The bright harp and piano are just beautiful... what a wonderful sound!

Proud you should be.

I must echo etLux and ask: Perhaps you would consider expanding on it?

Great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

what a wonderful piece of music! very emotional, I could imagine it as a filmscoring for a drama. I like especially the moment at 0:36 where the piano enters subtle octave-wise. great how the harmonies and textures float into each other. only criticism: the strings sound too static and deserve more finetuning work, modwheel rides, mixing solostrings into it, etc....

listening again

A lovely piece! I could picture using this in a serious drama or film. The opening sequence moves and builds really slowly and then kind of ends. This happens later on as well. I guess I was hoping for more of a climax or something more developed in these areas to echo previous comments (this could just be a taste thing-just for your consideration or food for thought.)
    I am fairly new to orchestration and struggling with these things myself so please take that into account. However, by listening to other more experienced composers (in the same genre) we can find out what works well for them (a high standard) and then develop our own style from there (in time)

Del

Thanks for the comments, all. I forgot I posted this piece! hahaha.

I appreciate all the compliments on harmonic movement, as I consider voice-leading my forte. Hindemith is a big influence of mine.

I will be fine tuning this as well as some other things I have done similar to this very soon. As for expanding it... I hope I haven't heard it too many times, but I will consider it. Always willing to make stuff longer. lol
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

the thing i liked most about this piece was the contrast between the high strings and all the other instruments. the strings were slow and sustained while beneath them there was a lot of movement. it gave the piece a nice sense of energy and movement. cool piece.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thumbs up Re: A short little piece for strings, brass, harp, piano

My kind of music! Very nice Jess, i have to give this one three thumbs up... no make that four, one more for the brass. I click it many times so some of that talent will rub off on me.

David

Very relaxing. I love the texture quasi Debussy, Montavanni. This is a very nice mood piece. It almost sounds vocal. Thanks for sharing.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast