• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String Library

Share/Bookmark

Arrow String Library

Who makes very good string multi-samples? I hope to find great quality real string recording.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
    Al

Re: String Library

I just saw Dan Dean is releasing "Dan Dean Solo Strings ADVANCED". Have a look at http://www.dandeanpro.com/

Dan Dean's library is already shipping and it's excellent.

BigAl,

To choose the right lib, you will want to consider a few things:

1) What's your price range?

2) Do you want a big orchestra sound, a chamber sound, or even a solo/quartet sound?

3) Are you comfortable using reverb and other processing to place and balance the instruments, or do you want an out-of-the-box solution?

4) Do you want live playability, or are you comfortable selecting/mixing articulations after the fact.

That helps narrow things down. After that listen to the demos and choose the lib that sounds best to you (maybe not what is popular.)

Arrow Re: String Library

Good questions Jon.
    1. I would like to get my feet wet first because I spent near $1,000 on samples that wasn't worth the box it came in. So let's start with $500 for strings.
    2. I'll start with orchestra sound first. If the quality of the recording is what I like, then I'll get the rest.
    3. I would like to do the processing myself because every mix is different. The out of the box solution is not my cup of tea.
    4. I am comfortable selecting and mixing.

Are the Vienna Instruments any good? It seems like libraries can be build-up with this program. I do love EXS24 sampler that comes with Logic Pro.

Thanks,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl
    Are the Vienna Instruments any good? It seems like libraries can be build-up with this program. I do love EXS24 sampler that comes with Logic Pro.

Thanks,
    Al
    VSL are about to release Vienna Special Edition. Seems like a nice package. Unlike their Opus this package includes parts of solo and chamber strings. Not much info available yet, but see this discussion.

Nils

Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    VSL are about to release Vienna Special Edition. Seems like a nice package. Unlike their Opus this package includes parts of solo and chamber strings. Not much info available yet, but see this discussion.

Nils
    Thanks for the heads up Nils! I hope it's as generous an offer as Opus was. At least i think it was!

BigAl,

I had similar requirements earlier this year, and purchased VSL's Appassionata VI. It's a bit over the $500 mark, but there it is. I was also interested in Sonivox Symphonic String Collection, but would have had to settle for MINI in my price range. Garritan's GOS2 will be interesting, but it may be a while before it hits the shelves.

Appassionata has a bigger sound that needs less processing than VSL's standard strings. Still, they are dryish, so they can be processed as needed for placement. Appassionata doesn't have quite the number of articulations as VSLs standard strings, but it's half the price...

Hello,
    in July the new Xsample solo string library for Kontakt 2 is available at the new onlineshop of bestservice. For all users of the Xsample Library there will be an update with the looped natural vibrato samples. Here a short overview of the articulations:
    looped non vibrato
    looped natural vibrato
    looped con sord. non vibrato
    looped con sord. natural vibrato
    sul ponticello
    tremolo ponticello
    spiccato
    marcato
    tremolo
    col legno
    "only finger"
    pizzicato
    bartok pizz
    tailpiece plucks
    peg plucks
    dead notes
    rosin
    harmonics
    harmonics glissandi

The instruments will be easy to play. We are working on some new scripts (switchable extendet tunings and body resonance) for this library. Last not least there will be a adaption for finale 2007.

Hans Josef

Arrow Re: String Library

Hello Jon,
    since you had similar requirements earlier this year, how do you like Appassionata? I am new to Vienna. So when navigating their website, I get confused. If I am correct, they have two formats: Vienna Instrument and the Sample Library. So can someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of the two. Is not Logic's EXS24 good enough? If their instrument is so much better some how, I'll just get it and be done with it. I just want to be productive and move-on.

Thanks,
    Al

Go Back to forum