• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New piece for Flute, Viola, and Harp

New piece for Flute, Viola, and Harp

Hi all, I haven't posted in awhile, partly because I use so many different instrument libraries nowadays, in addition to my trusty GPO. But I did recently finish a piece that's mostly GPO-based, plus a little help from a live harp for some key moments. Anyway, it's called "A Columbus Triptych," and it was commissioned by a marvelous professional trio in Columbus, Ohio. I used this to mock up the piece when I sent them the score so they could hear it.

It's ten minutes long, in three sections. In case you don't want to hear it all, here are some little highlights:

At 2:22 the slow, middle section begins, which is my favorite part of the piece. This thematic material gets used in other movements.

At 5:55, the fast, third section begins; it's a fugue, a form I persist in writing for simply because it seems no one's interested in them anymore (why?!). Anyway, at the end, the humble slow-section theme soars away.

Hope you enjoy it! I've provided both the audio and also the full score in case you're interested in reading along. It's being premiered this month in the midwest! Yahoo!And my best wishes to Gary for his wonderful work, and to all you great composers here!

Steve Main

The audio file:

Click here to view the full score while you listen:

Steve Main

Re: New piece for Flute, Viola, and Harp

Bravo Steve.......what a fantastic piece.
    I lapped it up from first note to last.
    Fascinating to see the score of your harp part, and note all the ingenious enharmonic spellings.

The writing is superb, and characterful throughout, and you really manage to get the maximum from this trio.

There really is no hiding place with an ensemble like this, so the writing needs to be carefully wrought.......you have succeeded tremendously well.

Good luck with the premiere, be sure to let the forum know how it went.

regards Joe.

Steve -

What a wonderful composition! Well composed! Well rendered! It's a style of composition that I love. It was a listening pleasure from beginning to end.

Congrats on the Premier! How exciting!

Thank you for sharing!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I just don't know what to say!
    that was wonderful.

If ever a CD comes out of it, PLEASE let us know, I'd love to get one.

Nice companion piece to the Debussy sonata

I can see why you like the slow mvt. - it's beautiful. Stillness is a hard quality to capture, but you've done it well. I really liked the seamless way it emerges from the first movement. I also enjoyed the viola in the upper register where it shadows/responds to the flute - such a lovely sound and texture. Beautiful harp writing, as well.

And fugues are hard to write - or did they forget to tell you that?

I hope the premiere goes well, and that this receives a second, third and more performances. It deserves such.

Thanks for making my Sunday evening.

Ron Pearl

Shelton, Washington State

I sure enjoyed it. I think it will appeal to a wide audience from 2 to 92.

Very nice writing. The movements have a western, open range, kinda feel to me. Like I'm in a big covered wagon caravan heading west.

Steve, great development of ideas here. A very well crafted composition. I enjoyed alot.

Thanks to all who took the time to listen (10 minutes is a lot to ask of any busy person these days!). Yeah, I'm hoping the premiere will go well, and hopefully I'll get a good recording out of it...!

My best to all you composers!

Steve Main
    Steve Main

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Excellent writing and production of the work. Great use of the sound libraries in your rendering. Yes it is long but I listened to it while working. So it helped make the time fly!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast