• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Need better REX file conversion in RMX

Share/Bookmark

Need better REX file conversion in RMX

Having tried a number of times to load a wav into Recycle and then save it as a REX file then do the conversion and then playback in RMX, I am always disappointed in the result. The best I can get is a slightly halted and stuttered playback, not smooth at all, no matter what tempo I set the host to. (Sonar 6PE)

Having looked at the "Using your own audio" Spectrasonic video again today, I know that I need to choose my samples very carefully, to make sure I get very precise and definitive slices. But even if I do that, I still get less than great results. Are there any tips that anyone can give me in order to improve the results I get?

Re: Need better REX file conversion in RMX

Hi Paul,

I might be able to offer some suggestions, but first, it would be helpful to know what kind of file you are ReCycling... drums, guitar, bass, vocal?

Also, what is the original BPM of the file you are ReCycling and what BPM are you ultimately trying to use it at?

Lastly, if you are using ReCycle's stretch function, how much percentage are you adding?

Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com

The subject line of this thread is not correct. We believe that the REX file conversion in RMX is perfect.

The problem is that you aren't happy with the slicing results you are getting, either due to your skill level of using ReCycle (it takes practice) or that it's not an appropriate tool for the audio you wish to use.

See this part of the reference guide for more details:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/rmx...ol/page04.html

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    The subject line of this thread is not correct. We believe that the REX file conversion in RMX is perfect.

The problem is that you aren't happy with the slicing results you are getting, either due to your skill level of using ReCycle (it takes practice) or that it's not an appropriate tool for the audio you wish to use.

See this part of the reference guide for more details:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/rmx...ol/page04.html

spectrum
    Hi Spectrum, I agree with you, the title should read "How do I get better REX file conversion in Stylus RMX?" No diss on RMX intended, I apologise for a poorly worded title

I am looking to convert some Vocal Planet Soul phrases and I also have Marcus Millar bass legend library CD in AKAI format that I would like to tackle. I can convert the MM CD loops into wav format and then in Recycle I can save it as a REX file and then convert. So far, I have only tried two phrases from VP.

When I look at the Spectrasonic video of the conversion, it sounds so smooth, I would like to achieve similar results. I will read the ref guide when I am back home on my music PC and see where I need to do things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by NineVOltAudio
    Hi Paul,

I might be able to offer some suggestions, but first, it would be helpful to know what kind of file you are ReCycling... drums, guitar, bass, vocal?

Also, what is the original BPM of the file you are ReCycling and what BPM are you ultimately trying to use it at?

Lastly, if you are using ReCycle's stretch function, how much percentage are you adding?

Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Thanks for your reply, please see my reply to Spectrum, above.

I am not at home right now, so can't answer your questions on the BPM. I did not use Recycles stretching function, just the slice tool.

Legato vocal phrases and bass loops are some of the most difficult to do with slicing technology.

Slicing works best with any sort of percussive phrase that is not sustained throughout the phrase.

Hi. You may also wish to view this video http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm It is James B from the Props site explaining some things about recycle. JON

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Legato vocal phrases and bass loops are some of the most difficult to do with slicing technology.

Slicing works best with any sort of percussive phrase that is not sustained throughout the phrase.
    I think it's because of the slow cycles that bass loops show artefacts very quickly when streched.

For vocal phrases, if you're working with Logic, Radius Mix (Izotope) is pretty good, but the new Melodyne plugin is top of the heap: a breeze to use and sounds fantastic.

Nigel

Hi. I have found that no matter what the best item for slowing or speeding up in tempo without pitch change.It really comes down to being able to move them around in your host. A very real and easy example is a drum loop.No matter how high quality. And without artifacts it is. It all comes down to the feel. A drummer playing a beat at 120 BPM can play the same beat at 100BPM. BUT and here is the catch. The FEEL wil NOT be the same. So I use and feel the best way to alter a groove once captured. Is to massage it in your host DAW, By that I mean subtle shifts in how the components of the loop are triggered.As great,and I do mean great. The ability for RMX to play beats back at a large degree of differing tempos. The feel will not be any different. That is were the ability to copy the midi file into your host and then make subtle changes to the way it is triggered comes into to play. It has been my experience that when using 10-15 BPM differences from the original tempo. Either up or down. The best thing to do is to play the slices manually into your DAW and adjust the quantization in subtle ways so not to make the loop sound rigid. Just what I have found. Maybe others can share some insight as to how best they have found ways to maintain a FEEL when using loops at different tempos from the original capture tempo. JON

This is an interesting thread discussion; I'm just so frutrated that I won't get home until tomorrow to try things out.

jonkuzma, thanks for the link to recycle, I will check it out (Video is banned on my company server/IT system that I am using to post this).

Spectrum, I can understand that drum beats are the best for creating slices but the RMX video where a sample from Vocal Planet is sliced is very cool - and very smooth. I was trying to emulate that. Maybe I will find the same loop as you use in the video and see how I fare with it. The three word phrase that is used has very distinct word definition, so that probably helps.

Go Back to forum