• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a jabb jazz song.

Share/Bookmark

a jabb jazz song.

This song uses jabb rhythm section and horns. It also uses gpo violin for a pad, and a short amount of muted guitar (not jabb or gpo). I think maybe the solo's could be louder. I was trying to weave parts in and around each other. Anyway, tell me what you think.
    -Jay

http://www.katejesse.com/jabbsong.mp3

Re: a jabb jazz song.

It's a nice laid back jazz tune. I liked the string pad.

I think the solos are about right in the mix with this sort of feel.

Phil

Nice tune! Thoroughly enjoyed the music and your arrangment. Liked the groove set up by the percussion. Really liked the keyboard playing.

From a mixing point of view. . . I'm no expert so I am alway hesitant to share my 2 cents worth on this topic. It does seem, though, that the solos could be brought out more on the mix. The keyboard, as much as I like it, seems a little too hot in the mix. Hopefully, someone with better ears and better mixing chops can provide more thoughtful suggestions.

Nice job, though! Thanks for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Jay,

Having listened a few times, I like this piece very much indeed.
    The band are good musicians!
    I wouldn't mind you sharing a little more with us on how you recorded this.
    One thing I noticed was the drums, particularly the rim shot a little repetitive and seemed to kill the swing. The mix is VERY dry. I know others will say that's a good thing but I personally like a real space, even a little room has reflective surfaces.

I'd like to work with your band, any chance?

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Phil, jazz tunes that I write usually seem to come out laid back. I like the style but it can have a tendency to lack energy, which I don't think is a good thing. Thanks for your comments.

Ted, I brought the volume of the keyboard up when it was playing the melody, and brought it back down for other parts of the song. It could be to loud though in the background. I think that I well back the keyboard down a little more, and bring up the solo instruments. Thanks for your suggestions and for listening.

Ray, I do seem to have a tendency to use less reverb. I have heard this before from other members of this forum. You would think that I would listen to what they are saying. I am always afraid of having to much reverb, which I absolutely do not like. I just have to push myself to use a wetter sound. The horn section was trumpet, alto, tenor, trombone and bari. The piano was the electric, the bass was upright 2 and the percussion was a combination of fusion, gm set and brush set. I wrote the piece in notation software, humanized it, brought it into 'sonar' for rendering and played the solos in real time. Thanks for listening and your comments.
    -Jay

Thanks for the info Jay

Ray

Great laid back "ride the wave" kind of feel to this;
    you just groove in on it and get carried along, smooth
    as silk...

Really good sound and rendering on this... very
    authentic feel to it, convincing performance.

Something about the room, though -- and this could
    be my antique and not-so-great ears -- maybe you
    could get this a little crisper, somehow?

In any event, great tune, Jay; much enjoyed it.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, I am glad that you liked 'riding the wave'. I don't know how to make the sound crisper. If you or anyone else knows how to do that, please respond. Thanks for listening David. I appreciate it.
    -Jay

AAAAAAARRRGH!!!!!

you've put this in a room now a metal one.

sorry for asking you to do something you were not sure of.

bass can't stand that much room and it's completely swamping the rest of the mix.

better no space than this.

Ray

Ray, obviously I am not connected to the reverb sound. I really need to explore this part of rendering more in depth. Anyway thanks for the "AAAAAAARRRGH!!!!!". I have backed off some reverb and ended up pretty close to where I started. Boy I need work on this.
    Thanks for commenting.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast