• Register
  • Help

Topic: Galina's Requiem

Share/Bookmark

Galina's Requiem

This is some music I posted last year and have dropped the key, slowed it down and am using just the GPO steinway and the Strad . The second part is the inclusion of some of Galina Ustvolskaya's musical sensibilities or at least my interpretation of them. She wrote without bars.

1919-2006

She has been called the lady with the the hammer and her music a black hole. Shostakovich wrote to her " I am music, you are a phenomenon".

Galina's Requiem

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/fastlane54321/Galina's%20Requiem.MP3

Re: Galina's Requiem

A poignant reflection on Ms. Ustvolskaya's
    sensibilities, Phil; nicely done.

A fairly loose cannon, Ustvolskaya was
    quite prolific (including a number of symphonies,
    if I recall); but you rarely hear her music;
    distinctly a shame... she was highly innovative.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This sure sounds like a requiem. How were you able to interpret her music if she writes without bars. Do you have a recording to work with. This sounds real nice. Very moody.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A poignant reflection on Ms. Ustvolskaya's
    sensibilities, Phil; nicely done.

A fairly loose cannon, Ustvolskaya was
    quite prolific (including a number of symphonies,
    if I recall); but you rarely hear her music;
    distinctly a shame... she was highly innovative.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you for the good words.

Actually I just recently discovered her music from a music magazine article and iTunes(believe it or not) has about twenty five selections available. I was quite impressed with her originality and my music sounded some what russian or slavic so I thought it was fitting to give her a little recognition.

I also tried to express the sorrow of that dark period for soviet artists and the 30 to 50 million victims of Stalin's gulags. That's what her music was all about although she expressed it much differently.

I read even her symphonies used only a hand-full of instruments. One piece used eight double basses and a few other instruments.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    This sure sounds like a requiem. How were you able to interpret her music if she writes without bars. Do you have a recording to work with. This sounds real nice. Very moody.
    -Jay
    Yes, it's pretty bleak isn't it.

I guess without bars it's sort of free form so the notes can just drop on the sheet more naturally. I sort of tried that just after the first part.

Her music really doesn't sound anything like mine, it doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. As I stated you can check out her music on iTunes or purchase a CD by a small number of artists recording her music. The clarinet trio is considered her most accessible work.

Thanks for the kind words.

Phil

Her music a black hole? I'm not sure if that's funny or sad...

But I have not heard her music before, and she seems to be worth checking out.

Great work with this! "Moody" and "bleak" do seem befitting adjectives... yet it was still pleasurable to hear. Music is weird that way. Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Some very beautiful and sad music. Thanks for sharing this. I'm not familiar with Galina's music, but now I think I should go seek it out.

Good work here.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Her music a black hole? I'm not sure if that's funny or sad...

But I have not heard her music before, and she seems to be worth checking out.

Great work with this! "Moody" and "bleak" do seem befitting adjectives... yet it was still pleasurable to hear. Music is weird that way. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for the positive comments Sean.

I think when you listen to her music you have to imagine that she was in the thick of it so it's not retrospective as mine seems to be. I think her music needs to be listened to in the context of those times. I would recommend reading Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archepelico if you have the time.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Some very beautiful and sad music. Thanks for sharing this. I'm not familiar with Galina's music, but now I think I should go seek it out.

Good work here.

It was pretty sad wasn't it.

I think you'll find her music very interesting though it is considered to be pretty narrowly focused.

Thanks for listening Jamie.

Phil

Go Back to forum