• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Describing our Home Studios

Describing our Home Studios

Ray Kemp and I veered into an interesting tangent on his "Mountain High" thread at the Listening Room Forum:

We both sketched in details about the particular combinations of equipment used in our Home Studios. For instance, my work space still lives up to the name I've given it, "Dinosaur Studio," since it includes so many extinct items, while Ray is using a new and very powerful "control surface."

I imagine there have been threads like this before, but why not start one again. It would be interesting to hear about other people's unique recording set ups and notes about their methods of recording/rendering their compositions.

Someone like to jump in?

Re: Describing our Home Studios

Randy, so many things to remember and add. I'll be in with them shortly.

Last edited by rayzalaf; 03-11-2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add picture

Well my studio is like this:-

I have two machines set up in a LAN. One has Cubase and all my plugins on it (NI Komplete, EWQLSC, RA, Crusher X, G-Force synths, GPO, Strad, JABB, etc) as well as Fruityloops, Soundforge, Rebirth and samples in Kontakt format. The other is purely for GS3, with VSL, 7Seas Piano and various other libraries.

My keyboard (CME UF8), Trigger Finger, POD XT and Mics are all connected to the sequencing machine. If I need VSL then Cubase drives GS3 over the LAN, and audio is passed back into Cubase, so that everything comes out of the one machine.....

....And all of that sits redundant in my studio. In actual fact I usually compose in the living room, on the family laptop with Cubasis, GPO and Kontakt, using walkman earphones. If I need to record anything I generally do that on the laptop too.

Nice, Ray!--Oh man, and two monitors. You really have it Going ON there.

Wow, Pingu--Quite a rig You have going also. I tried to do a LAN set up with my music 'puter (XP) and this online 'puter ('98) but I couldn't get it working. I'm afraid this OS is just too old and out of the loop.

Larry Alexander had a contribution to this thread--I got the auto email alert to that effect, but--the post isn't here. What happened? You deleted it already for some reason, Larry?

Randy B.

Thank you, Ernstinen! Another (in my eyes) HUge set up. Fantastic.---My eyes started swimming, so maybe I just missed it--but didn't notice you listing your Garritan libraries--?

Here's my 'studio':

-CME UF5 MIDI-controller
    -Yamaha PRS220 keybord
    -Privia PX110 digitale piano
    -Emu XBoard 25

-Dean Avalanche H, double-fat strat
    -Dean Edge 09, bass
    -Ibanez RG550, superstrat
    -Ibanez PF60, western
    -Ortega R180, classical guitar
    -Ibanez AFS75BS, jazzbox
    -Guyatone 60s, strat clone with one pup
    -Caliber strat
    -Yamaha G55A, classical guitar

-Epiphone Valve Junior top
    -Vox AD30VT
    -Behringer GMX212

-Behringer COM800 9.5" compressor
    -Behringer V-amp 2
    -Behringer TO100 overdrive/booster
    -Behringer EQ700 7-band EQ
    -Behringer CS100 compressor
    -Behringer OD100 Overdrive/distortion
    -Behringer Hellbabe wah
    -Boss GX700 19" Multi-effect
    -George Dennis Wah

-Weber Mini-Mass 50W attenuator
    -Behringer MS40 monitors
    -Behringer UB1202FX mixer
    -Behringer XM1800 mic-set
    -Hohner bluesharp in C
    -Belcanto bluesharp in D

Intel P4 3200, 1024MB geheugen
    E-mu 0404 soundcard
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    Steinberg Cubase LE
    Steinberg The Grand 2
    Steinberg Groove Agent 2
    E-mu Proteus X LE + three sample cds
    NI Absynth 3
    NI Kontakt 2

I won't post a picture, but I live in a 11m2 college dorm room so you can imagine how it looks.

here is what i use:

i've got a macbook pro (still waiting on NIs update so i can enjoy it) with an extra monitor, the axiom 25 by m-audio (incredible controller - you can control play, record, rewind, volume, pan, etc. also has a great feel and is super compact.), connected to the axiom is my roland xp-30 (old, but still awesome) which i use when i'm playing something that needs a lot more keys than the axiom. i've got a little edirol au-3 audio capture to record audio (the thing you can barely make out to the bottom right of the chair), and a small sustain pedal for the keyboards.

as for software i used to use sonar, but now i switched to mac (which everone should do - had to throw that in there) and i use logic express. for the actual composing process i use genie-soft's overture (previously owned by cakewalk). i recommend overture to anyone who is in need of a scoring program even though its nowhere near as powerful as finale and sibelius because of its straightforward and simple use. gpo even has a thing with overture where you get an "express" version of overture for no extra cost - and that version of overture is more than most people need (by the way, overture is a pc/mac program).

the one thing that has proved incredibly valuable is my axiom 25. i think they come is larger sizes with more gadgets, but the 25's small size is great because you can leave it right there in front of your computer and comes in really handy.

finally, i'd like to ask what type of device people recommend in terms of a "midi mixer" like the icontrol by m-audio. i've been looking into them but i have NO IDEA which one to get. i think the motorized faders would be a big bonus, but like i said i have no idea which one to get.

and if you'd like to listen to the music that this little setup produced just click the link below. the song "valentine" and "slow march" are all gpo, and they were all written on my pc, so hopefully the mixing quality will improve using logic. anyway, thats what i've got and if you have any questions/suggestions please let me know. thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Computer (Custom Built):
    3.2 GHz Pentium 4 HT
    160 GB Internal Hard Drive, 300 GB External
    2 GB RAM
    2 DVD Burners. One DVD+-RW DL
    No Floppy Drive
    Two Video cards (6 Outputs, 2 VGA, 1 DVI, 1 S-Video, 1 Component, 1 Digital)
    Two Internal Sound Cards (one is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE from Wal-Mart).
    IEEE1394a, USB, 3 NICs
    22" LCD Widescreen Monitor (1680x1050)
    17" LCD 4:3 Monitor (1280x1024)
    Altec Lansing 2.1 Speakers from Wal-Mart
    HP Keyboard, Kensington Optical Mouse

Yes, it does function well.

Audio Equipment:
    Yamaha DGX-205 (Best Buy)
    M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB Audio Interface
    Samson CO3U, CO2, and CL7 microphones
    15' (I think it is at least) Hosa microphone cable
    2 100' ProCo microphone cables

Windows XP Home SP2 (I would prefer Mac OS X, but not Windows Vista)
    Sibelius 4.1
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    Garritan Jazz and Big Band
    Kontakt 2.2
    3ds Max 5.1 (Anyone have an extra copy of Autodesk Maya 8.5 they don't need anymore?)
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Computer: Sweetwater Creation Station Pro (3.2 Ghz, 2 gig RAM, 80 gig and 200 gig hard drives, and I have a 320 gig ready to install as soon as I can work up the courage to do it!)

Monitors: Event ALP 5s

Keyboard: Roland XP-30

Sonar 5
    Finale 2007
    Kontakt 2

GPO, GOS, GSSV, Vienna Chamber Strings, Westgate libraries as they come out, SAM Solo Sessions and True Strike, and various other libraries which I don't use as much.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

It's not much yet, but here's what I use:

Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop
    Sibelius 4
    Kontakt Gold
    GPO Sibelius Edition
    Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 (used to use Tracktion 1, but it doesn't support Aftertouch)
    (have ordered the standard GPO for use with Home Studio)

M-audio Axiom 61 midi controller (which is very nice IMO)

I have a small mixer and microphone setup for recording audio

I hope to get a desktop soon and the full Kontakt 2, so I can get Bela D media's Celtic Wind Library. I write alot in the celtic style as well as orchestra and Jazz stuff and it would be good to have some actual celtic instrument samples. Plus the desktop would run much faster and better with all of the software I use now, and it would have a lot more RAM and Hard disk space

Go Back to forum