• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody upgrade to Vista on DAW?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody upgrade to Vista on DAW?

I'm trying to decide about upgrading to Vista. Anybody have experience with it on their DAW?

1.) How much extra disk space does it require (compared with XP home)? (I'm on a laptop with 100gb hard drive, and I can't expand much past that. I want to leave as much space as possible for recording and samples).

2.) How much more RAM/Processing power does it take? I don't want it to steal much overhead from my music programs

3.) I heard rumors that you can use a flash drive as extra RAM... Is this reliable/fast enough to load virtual instruments and sample libraries? My laptop is maxed out at 2gb ram and it would be excellent to bump that up with a flash drive. I imagine this would be too good to be true...

4.) Any major compatibility issues with software / drivers?

My stuff: SONAR 5 (haven't upgraded to 6 yet), Project 5 v2, various sample libraries (mostly with built-in Kontakt players). Various external hard drives, MIDI controllers and audio interfaces from Echo. M-audio, Edirol, Novation, Lexicon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Anybody upgrade to Vista on DAW?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I'm trying to decide about upgrading to Vista. Anybody have experience with it on their DAW?

1.) How much extra disk space does it require (compared with XP home)? (I'm on a laptop with 100gb hard drive, and I can't expand much past that. I want to leave as much space as possible for recording and samples).

2.) How much more RAM/Processing power does it take? I don't want it to steal much overhead from my music programs

3.) I heard rumors that you can use a flash drive as extra RAM... Is this reliable/fast enough to load virtual instruments and sample libraries? My laptop is maxed out at 2gb ram and it would be excellent to bump that up with a flash drive. I imagine this would be too good to be true...

4.) Any major compatibility issues with software / drivers?

My stuff: SONAR 5 (haven't upgraded to 6 yet), Project 5 v2, various sample libraries (mostly with built-in Kontakt players). Various external hard drives, MIDI controllers and audio interfaces from Echo. M-audio, Edirol, Novation, Lexicon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    chris.
    HP shipped me a Vista-laptop when my older one went kaput, much to my chagrin.

I'm on Vista Home Premium. The little gadget (widget) for dual-cores, which is a download, tells me I usually use around 30% of the ram on the machine and usually under 20% on each core with just Mozilla, Aero and a whole bunch of services-I-really-want-to-disable-but-haven't-yet-figured-out-how-to running. I managed to get the audio setup half-way running, and to be honest have not seen any super noticeable performance gains. I found Sonar really likes the dual-core though. Conceivably if I were to turn off the Vista Experience I might get a little more. Running a full orchestra project (40-tracks) in Sonar that had 85% full of the ram kept the processors busy, but they were able to handle it.

specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz, nVidia Go7400, 2GB RAM.

Software compatibility in the audio realm has been, for me, a nightmare. Kontakt 2 runs....funny. MIDI in general seems a little sluggish, and Sibelius throws fits every time I start it. Sonar 5 Studio is okay, but won't find the board's WDM drivers, so I'm stuck with really crummy MME drivers. (yeah, the firewire interface is on the list of things to buy)

Not sure about your peripheral audio and midi stuff. Definately check on the websites to see about support.

Regarding RAM flash drives: Not exactly RAM, from what I read. The flash drive works as an extra hard disk cache, speeding fetch processes. It would've been fun to link a 7 USB 2.0 hubs together with a couple 2GB drives on each, for sure. (If that were the case, I think you'd still need Vista x64 to take advantage of the "super-RAM" though.)

Hope this helps,

Reegs

I do not recommend Vista for anyone right now. There is a severe lack of stable drivers. Many programs have "issues". Do some research, make sure ALL your programs and ALL your drivers are stable before making the jump to Vista.

As for the Flash "RAM", it's pretty much as Reegs said. It uses the space to cache data it thinks you "might" need. Initial tests have shown it to be mostly hype.

I haven't really kept up for the last couple of years, but back then there were rumours that no program would be allowed to work at kernel level under Vista, which would have totally screwed Gigastudio. Did this turn out to be the case?

Go Back to forum