• Register
  • Help

Topic: Enharmonic Hell

Share/Bookmark

Enharmonic Hell

I've mentioned this Notion glitch before, but am reraising the problem as I seem to be impacted by it with some frequency. When I transpose a portion of the score, Notion makes transposition errors. Specifically (in the key of C) when I transpose by anything other than a semitone, Notion mistransposes the E>F and B>C of the scale. It transposes those intervals as whole tones, instead of semitones. I think it happens in all keys (except the key of C). It happens when I transpose a global portion of the score, as I am wont to do.

One wouldn't think this that big a deal, but it actually is. When I copy and paste a section of the score, and then transpose it, I am often left an enharmonic mess with two incorrectly transposed intervals. I use the nifty new enharmonic respelling tool to edit.

However, when working in key signatures with many sharps or flat(C flat, C sharp) and then transpose, the end result is always an enharmonic hell. I abandoned using a modulatory device because the end result wasn't worth the time required in manually editing a transposed copy and paste to achieve the desired end result. Can this be fixed?

Re: Enharmonic Hell

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    I've mentioned this Notion glitch before, but am reraising the problem as I seem to be impacted by it with some frequency. When I transpose a portion of the score, Notion makes transposition errors. Specifically (in the key of C) when I transpose by anything other than a semitone, Notion mistransposes the E>F and B>C of the scale. It transposes those intervals as whole tones, instead of semitones. I think it happens in all keys (except the key of C). It happens when I transpose a global portion of the score, as I am wont to do.

One wouldn't think this that big a deal, but it actually is. When I copy and paste a section of the score, and then transpose it, I am often left an enharmonic mess with two incorrectly transposed intervals. I use the nifty new enharmonic respelling tool to edit.

However, when working in key signatures with many sharps or flat(C flat, C sharp) and then transpose, the end result is always an enharmonic hell. I abandoned using a modulatory device because the end result wasn't worth the time required in manually editing a transposed copy and paste to achieve the desired end result. Can this be fixed?
    I'm not sure why it's transposing wrong, but we introduced the Enharmonic Respelling tool with our last update, which should make such fixes easier to implement. If you feel something is really screwy, I would encourage you to create a Tech Support ticket so the issue can be sent to the proper team.

Go Back to forum