• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Apple Logic and hyperdraw....Am I missing something here?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Apple Logic and hyperdraw....Am I missing something here?

So confused here.

I am taking some online Berklee College of Music courses soon and wanted to aquaint myself with some of the DAW software I will be using in those classes.

In addition to DP, Reason, Ableton Live and Pro Tools, one of the other apps is Apple's Logic Express

After getting over how "unlogical" it seemed to me (dummy here - used to Tracktion - which, though powerful, has track, VST and audio setup a SNAP - easiest in any DAW out there), I finally have my sea-legs.

And I am fairly comfy with basic MIDI editing tools, but find Logic's a bit confusing. The hyper draw portion of the Matrix Edit is very near what I am used to for a MIDI editing. Piano-roll, tools to draw, erase, select, etc. But... it only has 6 or so CC's to choose from.

Off
    Channel - which has a selection of 16 channels.
    Volume
    Pan
    Modulation
    Sustain Pedal
    Pitch Bend

You cannot seem to "draw in" curves for anything else other than those few controllers? In EVERY other DAW I have seen, the MIDI editing window or view always allowed to choose one of EVERY controller and draw that in or edit that way. Cubase, Tracktion, DP, (Even Overture notation program) etc, all have that controller choice selection as PART of the MIDI editing section of the program.

Am I missing something here?

I see Hyper Edit, which shows all that CC information for those basic - including "channel pressure" which I assume is everything "else" that is not the standard CC's listed but cannot figure out how to choose them. And you can draw in data there - but you cannot see the notes at the same time. Bummer.

But is there a way to change that standard list or add to them? I tend to do a LOT of expression editing. (for the Strad and Gofriller) how do I draw in those?

I cannot be the only one who is utterly disoriented by Logic's MIDI editing tools and views?

All in all, though - I am impressed with Logic - now that I have my basics. I like it's AU instrument setup for tracks better than DP's, but DP is still no. 1 with the MIDI editing tool.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Apple Logic and hyperdraw....Am I missing something here?

Hi Jerry

I've got a feelinng that the problem relates to your version of Logic. Logic Express has a lot less features than Logic Pro. I checked both and Logic Pro definitely allows you to hyper draw ALL controllers. I agree that it is somewhat limiting to not have access to all controllers in the express version but I guess this is one of the things they reserve for the pro version.

If I find a way to edit the list of controllers in Logic Express I'll let you know.

All the best

Brian

i've noticed the same problem because i just recently purchased a mac and and logic, although i never really used those "other controllers" i have a feeling that i would like to start. i immediately noticed the same thing though, and i have a feeling that there has to b a way to edit all the other ones by typing in the specific channel, but unfortunately for the both of us i don't know how to do it. i just recently, yesterday actually, get a book on logic. so hopefully that will shed some light. you can also download the manual in a .pdf form and that might tell you how, but i haven't read enough of it to know. but if i find out how i'll let you know and i hope you'll do the same. best of luck.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

You can add more parameters to the Hyper edit window (I'm not exactly sure how though, never bothered to look it up as I don't use Hyper Edit) however, it sounds like you want to draw in midi cc curves. You should be using Hyper Draw for that. Double click on a midi region or select a midi region and hit command-5 to open a matrix edit window, then under matrix edit's view menu go to hyper draw (all the way at the bottom). There is a list of common paramaters or you can select "Other..." and then select any midi cc that you want, then just draw in the data.

Oh, and Channel pressure is aftertouch. Logic can be a little tricky, but once you learn it is simply amazing.
    Tim

Thanks guys.

The limited Hyper Draw in Logic Express is seriously aggrivating. Even Garageband, Apple's STARTER app into their foray of audio apps has EXPRESSION as one of the basic CCs you can edit in the pianoroll.

I figured out how to add Expression to the Hyper Edits, but you still cannot see notes like in a piano roll. BUT.. You can see velocity data - which is the beginning of each note, so you have SOME ideas where things are. And you can "draw" in the data in the Hyper Edit. But that is soooo frustrating.
    Why allow editing the CC data in one area of the app (Hyper edit), but not in another (Hyper Draw)?

Limit my tracks, my number of plugin effects, but don't limit my ability to edit and draw in CC data!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Why allow editing the CC data in one area of the app (Hyper edit), but not in another (Hyper Draw)?
    Maybe it's a limitation of Logic Express, because I can edit all of the midi CC's in Hyper Draw on Logic Pro. In Pro it gives you access to all 128 cc's.
    Tim

booooooooooooo!!!!

let me repeat, booooooooooo!!!!!

http://www.apple.com/ca/logicexpress/comparison.html

that link says express only has "simple controller features." that is a bunch of crap, because EVERY other program gives you option mess with all of them. i feel like this is something that should be brought up with the logic/ apple people, because it really is unacceptable. anyway, boooooooooooo!!!!
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    booooooooooooo!!!!
    booooooooooo!!!!!boooooooooooo!!!!
    Now, Now, Keith

Your reaction and mine can be taken as proof that Apple knows what it is doing. The Express Version is meant to be an introduction and PUSH into getting the PRO version.

I personally think that limiting which CC's you can draw in is TERRIBLE, but it does make me want the Pro level version now. I REALLY enjoy the LOOK of Logic. It is soooo easy on the eyes. And even the express version has some very nice features.
    I just wish they'd added EXPRESSION in hyper draw. I would be pretty much satisfied with Express if they had.

C'mon, Apple, that is a pretty common CC - add it!!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

OK Guys,

Here is a lame work-around.

I created a windowset (8 and 9 are empty) that has the matrix editor (piano roll) along with the hyper edit window underneath, each with the same window resolution (so they line up with each other as far as measures, etc.

It KIND of works, so I can see the notes in the piano roll and also see my expression data in relation to that - but it is still lame.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

i just work with one of the expression features at a time in the matrix window, but if i'm doing multiple i might have to give that a try.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Go Back to forum