• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Home from hospital / case of missing brain tumor

Share/Bookmark

OT: Home from hospital / case of missing brain tumor

I was away for several days, so first Happy Birthday to Richard , Houston , and any i missed , and congrats to Professor Lost on the new baby .

My mom was diagnosed in 2002 or 03 as having an inoperable, yet thankfully benign, brain tumor. At the time we had returned for another 6 month checkup where they had to make sure it wasn't growing.

She had a doctor who was not too helpful and did not communicate much with my sister who was taking her to the doc. We were noticing many unusual things, such as confusion and Mom discussing her sister's dancing school from the 1940s as though it were a current event, and not often discussing things that were actually current. We would ask doc to check it out, he would ask her a few questions and inform us that she was fine, nothing wrong with her.

It took something like two years, i think, for them to actually look and see that she had a brain tumor and had possibly suffered a series of strokes. Or whatever it was, it was a long time. She has since digressed to a big loss of short term memory to the extent that new information was very seldom ever acknowledged or retained in her brain.

I have been living with her and taking care of her for a while, because even before the diagnosis she seemed to have become so forgetful that she may be be in danger of setting her house on fire while attempting to cook something.

More recently she began to repeat sentences over and over and over again as though her thoughts were stuck in a loop, and she also repeats that her family is going to arrive soon to take her to Greenville. She has not been in, or had family living in, Greenville since her childhood.

I have usually been able to just change the subject while talking to her and get her thinking about some things more current, but a little over a week ago it changed so that she would become agitated, very angry, and depressed, unable to think about anything else, and upset that no one will help her get to Greenville, because "they will leave without her and no one will know where she is." It was just spiraling out of control and getting worse so i took her to the hospital.

We were there for four days with them giving her a full check up, and they find no brain tumor. ??? Blood pressure medicine and making sure her blood sugar remains constant has really helped to alleviate much of the problems where she is once again sometimes smiling and happy, although the memory probs still there. She was once on Aracept, but it caused her to hallucinate and so we stopped, We have an appointment with her new neurologist who said there are some newer meds we can try.

Interestingly these new docs don't seem to be very curious or even wanting discuss much about the mysteriously disappearing brain tumor. I thought that seemed kinda odd.

I watch Christian TV a lot and they have all these health experts on all the time talking about diet and exercise and healthy foods to eat. Two different times they talked about blueberries, blackberries, rasberries, having something in them that kills tumors. Then on regular TV a Dr, Hamerly who reports the latest medical breakthroughs, told about that being one of the latest, that they have a developed a lozenge for cancer patients to take that is concentrated like eating several pounds of blueberries. It has not been approved yet but expected to be soon, because it works and has nothing in that can harm you.

I then decided to start buying lots of fresh and frozen berries, we eat them for breakfast, a whole bowl full of them (that may have been too much sugar for Mom).

I had something on my arm for over a year that was scaring me. It was a like a mole or something, gross looking and with transparent skin. It was all the time breaking open and bleeding or oozing and getting worse. I was going to go soon to the doc to see if it was a skin cancer and very scared that they would say yes, that is what it is. Two weeks after us eating berries every day, i went to scratch an itch and the thing on my arm turned to powder like dead skin and just fell off.

New skin was pink, but now you cannot even tell anything was there. I was feeding Mom the berries because she had a tumor, and eating them myself as a preventative, but had not even thought of it for the thing on my arm, because it was more like a skin thing than a tumor. Now i wonder if her tumor also fell off or just vanished because of the berries. Seems like the docs would be interested in this question.

Mostly posting this because to me it seems amazing and if anyone needs to or wants to they can start eating berries, or try to find out more about that new med made from them.

Well I'm not giving up hope that her remaining probs can be helped and others who have similar dementia or other probs can be helped. Thanks to all who have prayed for her. More prayers are welcome too.

David

PS: sorry for such a long post.

Re: OT: Home from hospital / case of missing brain tumor

Hi David

I'm happy to hear that the tumor disappeared! That's absolutely wonderful news!! Don't worry about the Dr.s not really seeming interested, they usually aren't... (a lot of them just don't care, it's all about the $$ (at least the Dr.'s that I've had the pleasure of dealing with... )) I know the frustration that comes when a loved one has dementia. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

Thanks for the tips about berries. Lucky for me, I love berries!

I hope that your mom continues to improve, and I'll continue to pray for you and your family. Thanks for the update!

Take Care,
    Steph

David,

Nice post. We're bombarded in this society with ads for medications to fix everything, and quite often the side effects can be as bad or worse than the problem. Unfortunately modern medicine doesn't give nutrition enough importance when dealing with disease. I'm glad something as simple as blueberries have made such a difference in you and your mom's life.

Jeff

Thumbs up Re: OT: Home from hospital / case of missing brain tumor

Got to admit ... MOMS ARE THE GREATEST!
    This IS a nice post. Berry nice indeed! Your mom is in me prayers my friend. Happy to hear she's doing better and the tumor has gone. Hmm, berries eh? Well, I never get enough of them but drink a lot of juices with mixed berries does that count?
    Be well!
    Styxx

Smile Re: OT: Home from hospital / case of missing brain tumor

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi David

I'm happy to hear that the tumor disappeared! That's absolutely wonderful news!! Don't worry about the Dr.s not really seeming interested, they usually aren't... (a lot of them just don't care, it's all about the $$ (at least the Dr.'s that I've had the pleasure of dealing with... )) I know the frustration that comes when a loved one has dementia. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

Thanks for the tips about berries. Lucky for me, I love berries!

I hope that your mom continues to improve, and I'll continue to pray for you and your family. Thanks for the update!

Take Care,
    Steph
    Thank you very very much for the prayers!!! I was sometimes getting that impression too, about the $$$, thankfully the neurologist that we still have to go see seems to really care. i'll see if he also just gives a blank stare when i ask about the tumor or propose that maybe it was the berries. Maybe we need to pray for doctors as much as we pray for sick people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    David,

Nice post. We're bombarded in this society with ads for medications to fix everything, and quite often the side effects can be as bad or worse than the problem. Unfortunately modern medicine doesn't give nutrition enough importance when dealing with disease. I'm glad something as simple as blueberries have made such a difference in you and your mom's life.

Jeff
    Thanks. It makes you wonder how many other things and incurable diseases may have something growing on a vine or tree that will cure it. Maybe Pomegranates or something will cure aids or that disease that makes people shake, i forgot the name. I don't much like taking any pharm pills because all those side effects that lead to more pills, but never met a fruit or veggie that i didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Got to admit ... MOMS ARE THE GREATEST!
    This IS a nice post. Berry nice indeed! Your mom is in me prayers my friend. Happy to hear she's doing better and the tumor has gone. Hmm, berries eh? Well, I never get enough of them but drink a lot of juices with mixed berries does that count?
    Be well!
    It seems like it would be unless it's in the seeds which they strain out when making juice. You be well to, thanks very much for the prayers, and may the force be with you.

Great story!

I think there are two ways to deal with disease - take pills that attack the disease (as well as the person), or strengthen your immune system and let it attack the disease. Given the choice, I prefer the latter.

That said, we don't always have the time to let the immune system go after the disease. The knife is "now", a pill is "soon" and blueberries are "over time".

Salud!

I have been using the spice Turmeric in cooking whenever I can, especially Indian food which I love. Several recent studies point to its medicinal properties including anti-tumour action. More information here.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Turmericch.html

My Mom eats blueberries alot for the same reasons that are somewhat commonly known, and she is 76 and very healthy. Grape juice is also very good for you.
    I drink at least 8 ounces of Oceanspray Cranberry light juice everyday. Jack Cannon (Rhap2) told me about it, and said it is great for keeping the urinary tract clear.

Thanks for your post Leaf.

Dan

Go Back to forum