• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Mac OSX's Firewall

Share/Bookmark

Question Question about Mac OSX's Firewall

I recently did a fresh install of OSX and I found Mac's firewall and turned it on without checking any of the boxes to allow different types of trafic. Now i have a prob that I don't if it has anything to do with that or not, and don't know when it started.

When i click on an MP3 or a midi file to download, that is posted on the web, it sometimes works OK without any probs, but usually with most of them, it looks like it downloaded OK and is sitting on my desktop or whatever folder i used, but it is not really there, just an empty icon containing one or zero bytes whenever i open it with iTunes, Quicktime or some other player.

Hope i'm not asking too dumb a question here, but is this because i did not check "file sharing"? Or some other box?

If so why does it work sometimes but usually not?

&

It seems like it is good protection, tight as a drum. If i check file sharing is there much risk of invaders?

David

Re: Question about Mac OSX's Firewall

The firewall won't affect MP3 downloads. It sounds like the transfers are not finishing. Have you had any other connection issues?

Be careful with file sharing if you are directly connected to the net. If you are on a broadband connection, I highly recommend a router. It buffers you from the Net. If you have file sharing on, computers on your local net can see it but the Internet can't.

Re: Question about Mac OSX's Firewall

Thanks for the info, Craig. Hmmm, i'll have to wait and see if there are other issues, haven't encountered any so far that I'm aware of.

I was wondering about the router, but it makes more sense to me now. I have this DSL router where if i'm directly connected to net, all the lights are on, and if kept where i use password to log on the providers network, only three lights are on, except a fourth light comes on when downloading Apple updates. The log on method is the way i've been doing it on this computer.

Go Back to forum