• Register
  • Help

Topic: Akoustik piano compared to TruePianos

Share/Bookmark

Akoustik piano compared to TruePianos

I bought TruePianos when it came a while ago.

It was the best digital piano I´d tried yet. One good reason was that it really worked, it had no problems with missing samples. And it sounded good.

Since then I´ve played it a lot and made a few recordings with it, and, IMHO, it´s a bit too easy to get quite monotonous hammering out of it. It´s not as dynamic and sensitive as I thought at first. (I really believe it´s the piano and not the player who is the problem here...)

At the same time I hear very good things about NIs Akoustik piano. Anybody compared both? Which one is the "better" and why?

Re: Akoustik piano compared to TruePianos

Quote Originally Posted by hebex
    I bought TruePianos when it came a while ago.

It was the best digital piano I´d tried yet. One good reason was that it really worked, it had no problems with missing samples. And it sounded good.

Since then I´ve played it a lot and made a few recordings with it, and, IMHO, it´s a bit too easy to get quite monotonous hammering out of it. It´s not as dynamic and sensitive as I thought at first. (I really believe it´s the piano and not the player who is the problem here...)

At the same time I hear very good things about NIs Akoustik piano. Anybody compared both? Which one is the "better" and why?

i have both....when i bought Ivory i even forgot that i had other 2 pianos...

Quote Originally Posted by synthuser
    I have various sampled libraries and TruePianos. I have the exact opposite experience with TruePianos. I find it the most expressive instrument I have. I have had to experiment with the velocity curve under the options to avoid spending too much time at f and ff.
    Good point... I have to agree with you about the expressivity. (BTW, Garritan, another name for your new sampler... "Expressivity"... say it with a lisp for extra enjoyment...)

hebex, what kind of controller are you using? Make, model?

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    what kind of controller are you using? Make, model?
    Yamaha Clavinova CLP-560.

IMO playability of new generation of modelled pianos like Truepianos or Pianoteq is the best since they oper on a true 128 layers/velocity value range. You don´t hear or feel that kind of "steps" like when playing say on a 8, 12 or 16 layered sampled piano.
    In other word the sound in a real piano change continuously between ppp to fff.

Regarding playability a good sampled piano would be a 64 layered maybe. One example of a good one is SampleTekk´s TBO with his 31 layers/note. It is very playable.

Now one thing is playability but regarding the sound itself the pure sampled pianos are superior.

Modelled pianos have to deal with quality of sound, but they have already the advantage of superior playability and no need of much data on disk, so they are very portable for example for gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by hebex
    I bought TruePianos when it came a while ago...
    Hi hebex,
    There is a dedicated Piano Forum in this place. You can use it (general discussion is already saturated).
    No offense here, just speaking as one of the impulsor of such a dedicated space for piano related discussions.

Go Back to forum