• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What Reverb Do You Use?

Share/Bookmark

What Reverb Do You Use?

i'm just curious as to what reverb people primarily use? do you use the Ambiece one in GPO Studio, and if so, whats your favorite preset? if you use a different reverb what is it? i'm curious because thats one of the things i struggle with - i think i tend to put too much in? (you can listen to some tunes i wrote on the link below and see what i'm talking about)

i'm also curious about the eq settings, but i'll leave that to a different post.

thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: What Reverb Do You Use?

For orchestral simulations, I mostly use Space Designer in Logic.
    For other types of music, I add to Space Designer also Universal Audio UAD-1's DreamVerb, and in some cases Kurzweil KDFX's bigger reverbs.
    Each one sounds different, so I find a use for them all.

Paolo

Well, I use Cakewalk FX Reverb, which is included with Sonar. I am accustomed to it, and it does not put a strain on my cpu. It is easy to adjust to my liking.

Richard

I started using SIR and I'm very happy with it...

I also use SIR.
    Cant be beaten for price.

regards Joe

What is SIR (sorry, i'm not good with all the technical stuff and i don't really know brands)?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    ... i think i tend to put too much in? ...
    thanks.
    comparing to a first rate recording of similar genre music is a great way to figure out the proper balance of dry/wet. I have been mightily surprised at the degree of wet in some first rate recordings of classical music.

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    What is SIR (sorry, i'm not good with all the technical stuff and i don't really know brands)?
    It is here

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I also use SIR.

Cant be beaten for price.

regards Joe
    What do you use for impulses, Joe?

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I primarily use a mix of Garritan Ambience and a generic reverb unit built into Cubase. (Reverb A )

If you are composing orchestral music, then reverb application will either make your instruments sound 150% better, or make them sound like they are underwater. (I'm sure this is true of other styles as well, but orchestral music is my forte.)

In my opinion, good reverb is probably the most crutial element in the pursuit of MIDI realism.

One important thing to remeber when applying reverb is:

Different instruments require different dry/wet reverb levels.

For example, (for dry samples) the piano requires about half the amout of reverb that strings do.
    Using GA and "Reverb A" I have found that for melody, a generic reverb unit pulling about 2/3 of the reverbic weight (GA with 1/3) ends up with a clearer sound.
    But for background instruments, the ratio would be about 2/3 GA and 1/3 Reverb A.
    Garritan Ambience is really good for the atmospheric concert hall feel, but over-application can really sound like muddy water.
    This is true of all reverb units but especially the atmospheric ones.

BTW, I compose almost exclusively orchestral music, so I use effects only to simulate realism--or, at least my understanding of it!

"Concert hall 1" is my favorite setting. (With a little tweaking of course )

Gary is The Master of reverb though, so he will probably correct me on this.

Go Back to forum