• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Is vinyl still around?

Share/Bookmark

Is vinyl still around?

I came across some website a few days ago that offered manufacturing services for vinyl records. Are these things still around being used? And, if so, why?

By the way, my new album is coming out soon...

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Is vinyl still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    That said, I have an enormous library of vinyl records for the taking because my cat clawed all the jackets to the point that you can't even read who the band is.
    I also have a couple hundred records infected with Cat Scratch Fever. No albums by Ted Nugent though...

But why would one want to produce hundreds of copies of one of these in this day and age?

During my freshmen year of college (2004-2005) I would sometimes listen to my university's library's collection of vinyl records just for the experience I suppose. Indeed the quality was rather indistinguishable from a CD. For some reason they took all the turntables away though, so the records just sit there uselessly on the shelf collecting dust and probably slowly warping.

On the old turntable my parents have, the quality is horrible... yuck... scratchy, dusty, staticky...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    But why would one want to produce hundreds of copies of one of these in this day and age?
    Two reasons:

1) Audiophiles

2) Hip hop DJs

I've got vinyl on my kitchen floor,

but seriously, do our ears work digitally, does a dog bark digitally, do we convert AD then DA while listening to a live performance. Digital recording and playback is convenient, end of story.

Ray

I remember one turntable i saw years ago. It was laser based, and much of the dust crackle was avoided. It also was able to "scan" de vynil and find the start of the music themes automatically.
    Marcelo Colina

Vinyl is making a comeback. A friend of mine used to have a business building high end turntables but wrapped it back in the 80's when demand dropped. He's now going back into business making both affordable and jaw droppingly expensive turntables again.

I still have the "virgin" vinyl master to my first recordings. (Not to mention several hundred "45's".) Oh yes, and a few unopened Beatles albums from the 60's.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    ...Digital recording and playback is convenient, end of story...
    It's also immune to degradation, and can provide perfect copies.

But, yeah, convenience is the main reason people moved to CDs and DVDs, as well as MP3s. DVD-A and SACD both have better quality than CDs, but failed to catch on - CDs are good enough for the general public, and the hi-fi formats didn't improve convenience.

Had they made DVD-A and SACD discs playable in existing CD players (and with superior quality on hi-fi players), it might have been a different story.

Personally, I don't like vinyl. There may be sonic advantages in certain areas, but I just can't ignore the pops and surface noise. And records are just plain inconvenient!

If you take good care of your records, pops and surface noise are not an issue, until after you've played your records thousands of times.

Hip hop DJs and Audiophiles are indeed the primary users of vinyl. But Serato Scratch has definitely taken a huge market away from vinyl with hip hop djs. But there are still purists.

Another reason is the collector value of vinyl. CDs are SO easy to duplicate, but you can't replicate a 12", at least not easily. If you do a comparison on ebay, records are almost always worth much more that CDs.

Go Back to forum