• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The 'In Search of the Lost Chords' Contest

Share/Bookmark

Arrow The 'In Search of the Lost Chords' Contest

This excerpt is reprinted with the kind and express permission of the New York Times
    and Glenn Branca [www.glennbranca.com] from (TimesSelect subscription required):
    http://thescore.blogs.nytimes.com/20...hords-contest/

The 'In Search of the Lost Chords' Contest

By Glenn Branca

The sweetest sounds I've ever heard are still inside my head.
    — Richard Rogers

We discussed the widespread contempt in which ukulele players are held - traceable, we concluded, to the uke's all-but-exclusive employment as a producer of chords - single, timeless events apprehended all at once instead of serially. Notes of a linear melody, up and down a staff, being a record of pitch versus time, to play a melody is to introduce the element of time, and hence of mortality. Our perceived reluctance to leave the timelessness of the struck chord has earned ukulele players our reputation as feckless, clownlike children who will not grow up.
    — Thomas Pynchon from "Against The Day"

Yes, this is a contest.

And it's open to any and everyone.

Here are the rules. Write and record up to three minutes of startlingly new and original instrumental chords. They can be scored in any fashion whatsoever, using any instrumentation or sound producing devices. You can submit a static series of chords or you can perturb the chords in any fashion. You can just submit one big gorgeous chord if you wish.

The submissions can be sent here in the form of a posted link to a site where a recording of the piece can be heard (like MySpace, for example). Leave the link in a comment at the end of this post. Don't send any music files.

At the end of the month I will announce the winners on my last blog entry.

I was hoping to be able to have some kind of small rewards for the winners, but it's not possible at this time. The links to all of the entries will stay posted in the comment section so that people can judge for themselves if they don't like my choices. But I will only post entries that seem to be within the spirit of the contest.

[Legal Note: By submitting a link to music you represent and warrant that the music found there is your original creation and that it does not infringe on any existing copyright.]

Anyone who can't post an entry because they're not a member of TimesSelect can just send the link to me at glenn@glennbranca.com and I'll post it.

~

Thanks due, to Peter Catapano at NYT and Glenn Branca.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: The 'In Search of the Lost Chords' Contest

I'll give this one a go, I know at least three chords.

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    I'll give this one a go, I know at least three chords.
    I think David's specifically targeting banjo players Tony

Ray

I'll post as soon as I find those chords... know I left them around here somewhere. Maybe by the grand piano ... maybe in the music bookshelpf ... I'll get back to you ... got to clean up this stuff ...
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

David,

this is great idea - I just wish I had some time to give it a go!
    For a long time I've had the idea of an orchestral piece which was made up of one great scrunchy chord - at all times every note of that chord would be present, but by using interlocking melody lines and counterpoint, and moving the root around to distract the ear into hearing different harmonic aspects of it - and using dynamics and the like the whole thing could sparkle and sing.
    I'm deadline chasing at the moment but if anyone fancies using this idea - be my guest!

regards,

Barrie

(c'mon, you remember me David.. Barrie.. no? ... BARRIE!!)

Can you play chords on a euphonium????????????
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe
    Can you play chords on a euphonium????????????
    You can on euphoniA

BB

This is a great opportunity to practice harmonic overtone singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This is a great opportunity to practice harmonic overtone singing.
    Not to mention a great chance to get your name in the NYT... rofl.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

In the song "The Lost Chord", by Arthur Sullivan/Adelaide Procter, the lyrics describe the lost chord as sounding like a "great amen". Now, as anyone knows who has been to church at least once in his life, "Amen" usually consists of two chords, forming either a perfect~ or plagal cadence. The Lost Chord is therefore a simultaneous combination of these separate chords. If one assumes the key of C major, the Lost Chord is then C, D, E, F, G, A, B, and C.

QED (or possibly, not! )
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Go Back to forum