• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: If a C is sharp..

Share/Bookmark

Post If a C is sharp..

...and a B is flat, then what is A?

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: If a C is sharp..

It's what ya say when you're hearing is going.
    I dunt know ... watt ezz it, A?
    Styxx

Natural, naturally...

It's what Canadians say at the end of every sentence.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Talking Re: If a C is sharp..

Hoo boy...I hope some of these puns have been...accidental!

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

What is A?

This is a deep philosophical question concerning the core identity of a poorly understood, under-appreciated, yet over-exposed note. Furthermore, which A? I mean, how would you feel if the tuning of the entire orchestra depended on the oboist playing you correctly? Talk about pressure! Then there is A's identity crisis. Do you have to be the concert A 440, an older Baroque, say A 438, or a slightly sharp A 442? You end up having to be all these different A's, just to please the conductor - no wonder A often has problems with self-respect. Worse yet, does the A still have the prestige of being the famous concert A or has it been sent down to Oakland, CA, and relegated to merely being a name for a baseball team (not that "C" fares any better given the Seattle "C" Hawks)?

On the other hand, most students do strive for A's and that is of value - pity the poor concert F, or the mediocrity of C. At least B has some respect, and D can take solace in not having totally failed (E and G wisely chose to abstain from participating in the academic world. With F faring so badly here, things would not have gone well for either of them but especially for G).

So what is A? Let the discussion continue.

Jim

(hard to believe this is my 100th post)

Quote Originally Posted by noldar12
    What is A?

This is a deep philosophical question concerning the core identity of a poorly understood, under-appreciated, yet over-exposed note. Furthermore, which A? I mean, how would you feel if the tuning of the entire orchestra depended on the oboist playing you correctly? Talk about pressure! Then there is A's identity crisis. Do you have to be the concert A 440, an older Baroque, say A 438, or a slightly sharp A 442? You end up having to be all these different A's, just to please the conductor - no wonder A often has problems with self-respect. Worse yet, does the A still have the prestige of being the famous concert A or has it been sent down to Oakland, CA, and relegated to merely being a name for a baseball team (not that "C" fares any better given the Seattle "C" Hawks)?

On the other hand, most students do strive for A's and that is of value - pity the poor concert F, or the mediocrity of C. At least B has some respect, and D can take solace in not having totally failed (E and G wisely chose to abstain from participating in the academic world. With F faring so badly here, things would not have gone well for either of them but especially for G).

So what is A? Let the discussion continue.

Jim

(hard to believe this is my 100th post)
    Symphony Orchestras tune to the Oboe, because the Oboe really isn't tunable (so I've been told...) I wonder what the Oboe plays "naturally?" Anybody know?

Keith W.

As an aside, it appears that the A440 figure dates from 1812 in Paris at the Conservatoire. It was apparently all over the map from 309Hz to 449Hz.
    Even after 1812, it was still all over the map. The American adoption of this standard was 1925, and became an ANSI standard in 1936.

Keith W.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    ...and a B is flat, then what is A?

-LFO
    Is it the name you call the guy that cuts you off on the freeway.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 03-09-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Well, I used to play first chair oboe in orchestras, and was proud to play the "A." Whether it was in tune or not, who knows?

The oboe definitely IS tunable by how far the reed is jammed into that sucker. But that's just part of it. Oboists have to have real good sense of pitch, because the embouchure has a lot to do with it being in tune. But since I don't have perfect pitch, it's all relative, relatively speaking.

Ern
    I just realized that the picture is of a cat. I thought it was a wolf.

Go Back to forum