• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can MIDI over LAN do this??

Share/Bookmark

Can MIDI over LAN do this??

My main sequencer is on a MAC,and midi LAN is not available for MAC yet. Can I use a regular MIDI interface to go from my MAC to Giga machine 1 and then MIDI over Lan from Giga machine 1 to Giga machine 2. If I can do this, how can I still manage all the LAN ports from my sequencer on the MAC??

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Can MIDI over LAN do this??

have ya checked the midi over lan website yet? midioverLAN

Seth,

I looked on that site you posted. I couldn\'t find any mention of using a Mac in a Midi-over-lan network. Maybe I missed it.

It would be great if this could work. Perhaps you need a program like \'Dave\' which allows you to network Macs with PCs. The problem is loading the Midioverlan software itself on the Mac, if its PC only.

Colin,

Looks like MOL won\'t work with your setup since it must be installed on all machines for both Tx and Rx.

Sonic Control Review \"Setting up MIDIoverLAN+ is actually a lot easier that you\'d think - it was certainly a lot easier than I initially thought it would be. Essentially, you need to install the small driver file by running its automated installer on each machine that you plan to be running MIDI to. This includes your \"main\" workstation, presumably where you will be running your sequencer and on your \"sub-workstations\" where you could be running other programs like soft-synths or soft-samplers.\"

\"... there isn\'t a version of MIDIoverLAN+ for Mac users yet. However, MusicLab says that they are considering adding Mac support for their future products. So, if there is enough demand for something like MIDIoverLAN+ on the Mac platform (and I don’t see why there wouldn’t be), MAC support just might be on the way. To those of you who are Mac users out there that are reading this thinking “Yeah, I would love to see MIDIoverLAN+ on the Mac”, I would encourage you to contact MusicLab and let them know through their web site.\"

Thanks for the info guys. I\'ll request MAC support on their site

Colin

anyone know what the added latency is in using Midi over LAN?

Ian

Anyone know if MOL works in a wireless PC network? I\'ve asked on the MOL forum but received no response.

I have been suprised to notice no added latency. In fact, I swear it\'s even tighter than standard MIDI. Unbeatable product!

I have been suprised to notice no added latency. In fact, I swear it\'s even tighter than standard MIDI. Unbeatable product!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hope the missus doesn\'t read this forum (kinda unlikely) - I\'ve just bought 2 more AMT8s and 4 4*4 Midisports....
    Still - the rack\'s looking cool.

Ian

Yikes! We just sold a bunch of AMT8s and midisport 4x4s because a $40 program replaced thousands of dollars of hardware. I say you should take the midi interfaces back and recoup some dough.

Go Back to forum