• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adding Emerald to my collection?

Share/Bookmark

Adding Emerald to my collection?

I just got paid from my recent project and I've been planning on picking up a copy of Emerald. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I'd be better off with something more specialized.

I already have GPO and EWQL Gold (as well as Ra, Stormdrum, EWQL Choirs, DFH2, and a handful of other libraries and synths). Will Emerald really add to my arsenal, or will it just be overkill on the orchestra libraries? (I know, I know, you can never have too many orchestra libraries, but I'm just wondering whether I'm getting into the diminishing returns -- how many flutes do I really need?)

My other thought is to pick up some/all of the SAM Brass or True Strike or another more specialized library. It may not be as much bang-for-my-buck in terms of sheer amount of instruments, but considering I have the whole orchestra covered already, maybe it's time to delve into some more detailed instruments.

I really can't spend more than $300 here so I think VSL / Opus is out of the question.

Any thoughts?

THanks,
    chris.

Re: Adding Emerald to my collection?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I just got paid from my recent project and I've been planning on picking up a copy of Emerald. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I'd be better off with something more specialized.

I already have GPO and EWQL Gold (as well as Ra, Stormdrum, EWQL Choirs, DFH2, and a handful of other libraries and synths). Will Emerald really add to my arsenal, or will it just be overkill on the orchestra libraries? (I know, I know, you can never have too many orchestra libraries, but I'm just wondering whether I'm getting into the diminishing returns -- how many flutes do I really need?)

My other thought is to pick up some/all of the SAM Brass or True Strike or another more specialized library. It may not be as much bang-for-my-buck in terms of sheer amount of instruments, but considering I have the whole orchestra covered already, maybe it's time to delve into some more detailed instruments.

I really can't spend more than $300 here so I think VSL / Opus is out of the question.

Any thoughts?

THanks,
    chris.
    I really think that Sam Brass will give you a great Brass section, and true strike or EW Percussion a great Percussion section...for strings and ww Emerald is really good but if you really want the best IMO get Sonivox Strings and Westgate Oboe and Flute!

I find Emerald really playable, but I would budget for more than $300. You'll really want Ruby when it comes out, and the price is TBD.

That said, if you have Gold already, I would lean more to the ProjectSAM brass and their TrueStrike. The bundle is around $1300.

Hmmm, I didn't realize the Gold XP Pro group buy was going on. That makes this decision tougher. Where best to spend $300-ish? (at this point I'm not looking to put the money aside to save for a larger library -- I have other expenses coming up and I can't justify spending more).

1.)Gold XP Pro upgrade (from my standard Gold). There's a lot of stuff in here I won't use, but the qlegato, bartok pizz, harmonics, and smaller ensembles / solos might make it worthwhile.

2.)Emerald -- I'm hoping these will be more playable than my Gold samples, particularly in the strings and brasses which I sometimes feel lack subtlety and smoothness. I thought Emerald might fill in some of these holes.

3.)Sam Trumpets and Trombones (I already have an old GS version of SAM Horns which I can side-grade cheaply--I've barely used it). But how PLAYABLE are the SAM instruments? Can you play expressively and dynamically, or do you have to patch together a lot of articulations? Are the crescendos/swells playable or are they hard-sampled? Are the repeated-staccato samples round-robin or are they just recordings of multiple notes?

Thanks,
    chris.

Chris,

I feel your pain. I always wonder if I should start to buy more "Rolls Royce" type sounds rather than shotgunning a new less expensive lib. I love KH Virtuoso strings which I picked up for $49 when he was blowing them out. Now I wrestle with buying the new VSL low end stuff, Appasionatta Strings, or Kontakt2 and Emerald or... fill in the blank.

I already have so many VST's that I hardly know. But hey a dude without a new piece of software coming down the pipe is nowhere

You might want to really hone in on what you are lacking and fill those holes with some premium libs. One or two great sounding instruments is so much better than a whole bunch of mediocre sounds. In no way am I dissing KH or anybody elses stuff. If the strings in Emerald are better than the Virtuoso strings in terms of warmth I'll be getting them as soon as I can afford them.

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Definitely pickup up Project SAM Solo Sessions brass. I love to use this library with GPO. This library gets quite a bit of use.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Hmmm, I didn't realize the Gold XP Pro group buy was going on. That makes this decision tougher. Where best to spend $300-ish? (at this point I'm not looking to put the money aside to save for a larger library -- I have other expenses coming up and I can't justify spending more).

1.)Gold XP Pro upgrade (from my standard Gold). There's a lot of stuff in here I won't use, but the qlegato, bartok pizz, harmonics, and smaller ensembles / solos might make it worthwhile.

2.)Emerald -- I'm hoping these will be more playable than my Gold samples, particularly in the strings and brasses which I sometimes feel lack subtlety and smoothness. I thought Emerald might fill in some of these holes.

3.)Sam Trumpets and Trombones (I already have an old GS version of SAM Horns which I can side-grade cheaply--I've barely used it). But how PLAYABLE are the SAM instruments? Can you play expressively and dynamically, or do you have to patch together a lot of articulations? Are the crescendos/swells playable or are they hard-sampled? Are the repeated-staccato samples round-robin or are they just recordings of multiple notes?

Thanks,
    chris.
    I really don't like the Gold Pro XP strings- well, at least the legato ones. They sound not completely real. I do like their staccatos a bit more but honestly I turn to HALion Symphony Orchestra for my strings, or else Prime Sounds Session Strings and VSL. I do also like the Miroslav Philharmonik strings.

I was going to buy the Kirk Hunter Emerald but I just recently bought HALion SO for $250 and the 27 gigs of samples you get for that (24 bit samples to boot) are pretty darn cool. But had I not bought that, I probably would have gotten Emerald.

Where Emerald shines for me.

1) Playablilty : all instruments in it that I am familiar with are very accutrate under the fingers. Very good!

2) Sound : Clean - Well edited - no sloppy ambience -yet still will sound great without reverb.

3) Inspiration - like playing a finely crafted ( physical ) music instrument the similarity is that a good instrument makes one listen and exceed their boundries. It is so with Emerald for me.

I would definitely go with Emerald, it would definitely add to the GPO and Gold... You can use the percussion from Gold and there's a lot of instruments in Emerald which work extremely well... I think that the strings in Emerald are much better than the strings in Gold... A lot of the woodwinds as well... So, the bucks, it's definitely a big bang...

I´m also interested in the Emerald library.

One thing though, are there close-miked versions of the instruments in the library?

(I´ve heard that in an early version of Kirk Hunter symphony orchestra, there were no close-miked instruments.)

Go Back to forum