• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gold XP strings vs anything else?

Share/Bookmark

Gold XP strings vs anything else?

Oh yes, this is yet another "help-me-decide" thread.
    I have EWQLSO Gold and I am thinking about adding Gold XP to that because lately I have been less satisfied with the short string articulations in Gold. For instance, the Up Down patch for the 10 Cellos in Gold is pretty useless for fast passages IMO unless I am doing something wrong.
    I also think the EWQLSO strings lack definition but that's another story.

So my question goes to everyone out there who has Gold + Gold XP and some other popular orchestral library (or string library). If you were me, would you go for Gold XP or some other library?

Re: Gold XP strings vs anything else?

I like to hear the other story. Seems hard to believe. Why even think about Gold XP? Seems you cannot get the Gold edition right..Well anyway, life goes on..Joseph.

i bought Sonivox Strings (in k2 Format)....maybe they are too much expensive but believe me i think i will use them for at least 10 years they sound fantastic!

The Gold XP is verymuch worth the upgrade. The string Marcato patches are very good for fast passages. Lots of bite.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon
    The Gold XP is verymuch worth the upgrade. The string Marcato patches are very good for fast passages. Lots of bite.

-T
    well.....yes and no. I think HALion SO has better bite to their string samples although Gold Pro XP has wonderful percussion and brass IMO. I love the staccato muted brass samples in particular. The solo strings aren't bad although the cello lacks some vibrato and sounds a little sterile. But I got back into using Gold Pro XP the other night and it was pretty darn fun. I know I'll use it more when the PLAY version comes out since I'm on an Intel Mac and don't really like Kontakt 2 that much as a player. I know, I'm in the minority on that one. I prefer SampleTank or even HALion. Faster navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    I like to hear the other story. Seems hard to believe. Why even think about Gold XP? Seems you cannot get the Gold edition right..Well anyway, life goes on..Joseph.
    That's how the story goes, I think the strings lack definition, or bite. That is however not the reason I want to buy new string samples. What I need is good string staccatos and marcatos that also works well in fast repititions. The VSL library that comes with Kontakt 2 has okay sounding staccatos but when repeated it only alters between two different samples.

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    i bought Sonivox Strings (in k2 Format)....maybe they are too much expensive
    The Sonivox Strings sound very good but they are indeed too expensive for me. Also I think I read somewhere that Sonivox Strings has no legatos at all. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon
    So I've heard. There is a group buy going on right now so I was thinking it might be worth the upgrade for the current price.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    although Gold Pro XP has wonderful percussion and brass IMO.
    I recently bought SAM Brass, True Strike 1 and True Strike 2 so I'm satisfied with the brass and percussion for the time being. My priority is now strings.

The Sonivox Strings sound very good but they are indeed too expensive for me. Also I think I read somewhere that Sonivox Strings has no legatos at all. Is that right?
    I think you should be able to create some really nice legato in K2. They do have
    a patch called legato but it's not as in connective notes but as in legato in the real musical therm. I believe they have script legatos that ships with the K2 version. They also have SISS mini(about half price) which is worth looking into... not sure if they have it for K2...

So I've heard. There is a group buy going on right now so I was thinking it might be worth the upgrade for the current price.
    Probably a no brainer...

That's how the story goes, I think the strings lack definition, or bite. That is however not the reason I want to buy new string samples. What I need is good string staccatos and marcatos that also works well in fast repititions. The VSL library that comes with Kontakt 2 has okay sounding staccatos but when repeated it only alters between two different samples.
    There's a lot of repetitons in Gold XP, you will be please.

I recently bought SAM Brass, True Strike 1 and True Strike 2 so I'm satisfied with the brass and percussion for the time being. My priority is now strings.
    I bet you are.

VSL now has VI SE(80 GB) which is a very generous offer but they only have 2 repetition and you're locked in a player so that wont help you. But God i love those strings... ahhhh! What to do?

I used to have only Gold.
    I bought Kirk Hunter Emerald and it made a major difference for me.
    The strings in Emerald are working great for me. Fast runs no problem.
    Also, Emerald is not masked by all of the ambience and is much easier to play for me.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I think you should be able to create some really nice legato in K2. They do have
    a patch called legato but it's not as in connective notes but as in legato in the real musical therm. I believe they have script legatos that ships with the K2 version. They also have SISS mini(about half price) which is worth looking into... not sure if they have it for K2...
    Ah, thanks. I looked into that and apparently it has round robin scripts too, but even the MINI collection was a bit too expensive for me. I can get Gold XP for around $350 right now and the SISS MINI is around $450.

VSL now has VI SE(80 GB) which is a very generous offer but they only have 2 repetition and you're locked in a player so that wont help you. But God i love those strings... ahhhh! What to do?
    VI SE sure sounds very nice and realistic and most suitable for classical music. The standard library is not so expensive actually. Too bad it only has 2 alternations on the staccatos. /= Is it locked to a player that comes with the library? So it can't be used in any other sampler?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    I used to have only Gold.
    I bought Kirk Hunter Emerald and it made a major difference for me.
    The strings in Emerald are working great for me. Fast runs no problem.
    Also, Emerald is not masked by all of the ambience and is much easier to play for me.
    I have been looking at KHSO and I like the sound of the ensamble strings. How well does it work for you to blend KHSO with EWQLSO? Do you use any convolution reverb on KHSO? Is there any audio demo that shows how well KHSO deals with fast repetition of short string articulations?
    Further, I think I read somewhere that KHSO would be available as separate sections but I can't find anything about that on the web site. In that case I would be interested in just the strings alone since I don't really need any more brass and percussion at the time.

They also have SISS mini(about half price) which is worth looking into... not sure if they have it for K2...
    No, the Mini isn't available for Kontakt2, I've asked about it.

Go Back to forum