• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notation question: whole note trill on Bb?

Share/Bookmark

Notation question: whole note trill on Bb?

I want a whole note trill from Bb to C natural. How do I notate this? I cant put a "natural" sign above the trill, because the player would assume I mean trill from Bb to B natural, correct? So how do I indicate I want a trill from Bb to C natural?

Re: Notation question: whole note trill on Bb?

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I want a whole note trill from Bb to C natural. How do I notate this? I cant put a "natural" sign above the trill, because the player would assume I mean trill from Bb to B natural, correct? So how do I indicate I want a trill from Bb to C natural?
    Assuming that there is a C# in the key sig that you want to naturalise, then the way to go is to put a natural above the trill. Trills are supposed to be in the interval of a second. Your example (Bb to Bnat) would be in the interval of an augmented unison, so would be incorrect.

D

A natural will indeed work.

However if you use more trills, and are all in maj sec, then it might be best to just put in the intruction is front "all trills in maj secs" and get it over with.

Nautraly the performer will play a second next to the note, only depending on the key signature. If there is a C# then he will actually play a aug. sec, if there is C natural a maj sec, and if there is a Cb a min sec by default.

Depends on your key signature then...

In my experiences the player usually opts for the note in the key, i.e. if you are in F major, C natural is assumed for the trill. For clarity sake, or for highly chromatic or atonal music you can put the note and the accidental in parenthesis and in a smaller cue note size.

tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    B (C#)

I wrote the piece with no key signature (dont remember why anymore, perhaps I should change it), so that was what was throwing me.

The idea of a note that all trills are major 2nds is a very good idea. Thank you both very much!

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    I
    tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    B (C#)
    Great idea! I'll do this as well....now I need to figure out how to do it in sibelius

Go Back to forum