• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Would it be interesting for this forum?

Share/Bookmark

Smile Would it be interesting for this forum?

Again and again one can reread here that many people on the search are after the best LIBRARY for the Hollywood sound.

I am in the opinion that there is not "the one" LIBRARY for the Hollywood sound.
    So, I have an idea.... .

It would be to be heard interesting, with which LIBRARY different people determined tendencies to describe.

How do the composers express in music a sad, a merry, an exciting situation?

I think, interesting the contributions would be to be heard.

But, before I ask for certain tendencies, then I ask first Gary Garritan whether he finds it good to start such here thread?

Gary, would it be interesting for this forum?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Would it be interesting for this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Again and again one can reread here that many people on the search are after the best LIBRARY for the Hollywood sound.

I am in the opinion that there is not "the one" LIBRARY for the Hollywood sound.
    So, I have an idea.... .

It would be to be heard interesting, with which LIBRARY different people determined tendencies to describe.

How do the composers express in music a sad, a merry, an exciting situation?

I think, interesting the contributions would be to be heard.

But, before I ask for certain tendencies, then I ask first Gary Garritan whether he finds it good to start such here thread?

Gary, would it be interesting for this forum?
    GC,

This topic has been raised before so I will post some of my previous comments and thoughts with regards to the Hollywood sound. There are many Hollywood composers using our libraries and below is what I have gleaned from many conversations with them.

The "Hollywood sound" is the result of many factors. It has to do with the writing and skill of the composer, the composition of the orchestra, and mixing and post-production. The most important thing for achieving a Hollywood sound is the writing and the arranging. That is why top Hollywood composers are in demand. If you cannot orchestrate, no sample library is going to help. And the writing runs the gamut from big epic scores to the intimate, light-heartedness to the sublime. The composer captures the emotion and matches the appropriate music to what is happening on the screen. The orchestral sounds at the disposal of the composer should be able to express what the composer wants to convey. Having as many at your disposal would serve that end.

As far as the instrumentation, the Hollywood sound can be larger than life because the instrumentation can be larger than a typical orchestra. If you look at the size of the orchestras of popular films this becomes apparent. Star Wars - 110 players, King Kong - 108 players, Batman Returns - 90 players. These are blockbusters but other films have much smaller orchestras.

Many sample libraries can provide the necessary number of instruments for a large orchestra. They are also flexible enough to work for tender and soft moments as well. The question should not only be can a sample library provide a big bombastic sound, but can it address moments in the film where there are tender moments? It is important that the sound pallet be flexible to cover a wide variety of instrumentation.

Like anything Hollywood much of the sound to do with production - props, make-up, special effects, etc. Hollywood soundtracks are often record on a soundstage with many spot mikes. It is very rare that soundtracks are recorded in a traditional concert hall. Concert halls are designed for live orchestral performance and there are reasons soundstages are preferred for film over the traditional concert hall. Engineers sync up the video of the film cue with the orchestral music. With spot miking and multi-tracking, it is easy to control every aspect of the sound. So that every instrument blends perfectly with what is happening on the screen. The engineer can control the mix, can EQ, can add compression, adjust the reverb or add effects to the sound as needed. Many films are using electronica and ethnic instrumentation so it's important for a sample library to be able to be able to live with those sounds. It is important that the sound palette be able to take effects and processing and blend with other sounds.

It is best to have as many sounds in your palette as possible. More choices and lower prices make this possible. But realize in the end that no library will replace a real orchestra. The majority of Hollywood films still seem to use real orchestras even though Hollywood film composers have many of the libraries. Although a Hollywood sound can be a nice goal to attain, a sample library is not the Hollywood sound. It is my hope that sample libraries will lead musicians to also work with real orchestras.

Remember too that the Hollywood sound changes over the years. The Hollywood sound of the 70s and 80s is different today. What is in vogue now may be old-fashioned in a few years.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

I agree with you 100%,

but it is to be heard not interesting, what approximately the composers compose around the world for this and that?

Gary, you know I am german and my writing in your language is not the best... :-) I do not like misunderstandings.

My idea is: give you a topic forwards and let the composers komponieen, and let us all hear the results... .

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your words... .

As I already said, I like no misunderstandings. My idea is it to start a forum where composers can leave their compositions, over this and that topic. (more or less in hollywood sound....)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Orchestration has a lot to do with the sound - but so do the performance environment and the post processing. Do an FFT on the spectrum of most Hollywood sound tracks and you will find that most are very similar - evidence of the post-processing to a "golden" norm. Check the IRs of most and you will find a few presets predominate as far as depth - most likely due to most projects being recorded in similar spaces and mastered by only a small handfull of people using the same tools.
    Stephen,

You are quite right about that. I once attended a recording of an orchestra at Bastyr for a film. Bastyr is one of the nicest sounding spaces I have ever heard (the soundtrack for Mr. Holland's Opus was recorded there). It's just glorious. In the control room I notice blinking lights in the rack and on closer examination I noticed it was a Lexicon480L. I saked the engineer why he was mixing in Lexicon reverb in such a gorgeous sounding hall. His reponse was "because that IS the Hollywood sound".

Gary Garritan

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your words... .

As I already said, I like no misunderstandings. My idea is it to start a forum where composers can leave their compositions, over this and that topic. (more or less in hollywood sound....)
    Do you want a separate subforum in the Listening Room perhaps for the Hollywood syle? What about other subgeneres what other categories. The problem with a Hollywood sound forum is that the Hollywood sound encompasses Symphonic music, electronica, pop, ethic music, etc. Music has always been hard to label and categorize.

what do others think?

Gary Garritan

In general, I think that it's a good idea, but I'd be concerned that many of the pieces (depending on genre and personal preferences) wouldn't have a fair chance to be listened to. I feel that (at least for me) if we have several listening rooms, I wouldn't know which one to put my pieces in to. Some of my pieces could go either Hollywood style or Concert piece... It's too much thinking for my stressed out brain

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Do you want a separate subforum in the Listening Room perhaps for the Hollywood syle? What about other subgeneres what other categories. The problem with a Hollywood sound forum is that the Hollywood sound encompasses Symphonic music, electronica, pop, ethic music, etc. Music has always been hard to label and categorize.

what do others think?

Gary Garritan
    Gary, I think, now you clearly know what I mean..., smile.

In so many threads there is always the question about the best librarys... . You, me, and many others know that there is no best library... . I think a separate subforum in the Listening Room would give many answers to many askers.

Thus ask questions there like: A policeman must communicate to the woman that their man was killed.... . So, a question to the composers: please underline it with music.... .

Gary, I think, now you clearly know what I mean..., smile.

In so many threads there is always the question about the best librarys... . You, me, and many others know that there is no best library... . I think a separate subforum in the Listening Room would give many answers to many askers.

Thus ask questions there like: A policeman must communicate to the woman that their man was killed.... . So, a question to the composers: please underline it with music.... .
    So you want to know how to orchestrate and convey musically the various emotions and situations that may appear on film.

Is this what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    So you want to know how to orchestrate and convey musically the various emotions and situations that may appear on film.

Is this what you mean?
    I want to hear the results of the forum readers for that various emotions and situations that may appear on film.

Go Back to forum