• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Tag" - A short exercise in counterpoint

Share/Bookmark

"Tag" - A short exercise in counterpoint

Here is one of my short exercises in counterpoint.

This is "Tag".

See if you can follow all of the voices as they play "tag" with each other.

Larry

Re: "Tag" - A short exercise in counterpoint

Although I do think you made the piece more complicated than it needed to be with the instrumentation, over all, it did sound good. I must also say, you did a great job with the timpani.

Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    Although I do think you made the piece more complicated than it needed to be with the instrumentation, over all, it did sound good. I must also say, you did a great job with the timpani.
    How much "less complicated" should it be? The instrumentation is necessary to carry out some of the counterpoint that I wrote for this work since the piano player has only two hands.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    How much "less complicated" should it be? It is my creation and it is as I wish it to be. The instrumentation is necessary to carry out some of the counterpoint that I wrote for this work since the piano player has only two hands.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Larry

... reminds me of the famous exchange from "Amadeus."

-"My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect."
    -"Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?"

I will go the other direction and say I'd like to hear this fully orchestrated for a large orchestra. A raucus, driving percussion line and the theme ping-ponging from section to section. The counterpoint is fun and clever and it would lend itself well to a live performance.

That said, it's your creation so keep it the way you like it! (don't hurt me)

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    ... reminds me of the famous exchange from "Amadeus."

-"My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect."
    -"Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?"

I will go the other direction and say I'd like to hear this fully orchestrated for a large orchestra. A raucus, driving percussion line and the theme ping-ponging from section to section. The counterpoint is fun and clever and it would lend itself well to a live performance.

That said, it's your creation so keep it the way you like it! (don't hurt me)

chris.
    I was actually basing my reply to the poster on those lines from the Mozart flick.

I have written some similar works in the past for full orch with counterpoint and fugues and other good stuff out the wazoo. Maybe I'll dig out some and "Garratinize" them.

Many thank for listening, Mr. Chris.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nice work on the counterpoint in this, Larry.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Nice work on the counterpoint in this, Larry.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I tried to do it just as you taught me, Mr. Dave.

Thank you for listening.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum