• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: VSL Appassionata, Chamber and Solo Strings Demo-- Vaughan Williams' Fantasia

Share/Bookmark

VSL Appassionata, Chamber and Solo Strings Demo-- Vaughan Williams' Fantasia

Here is my peformance of Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Tallis. It is my all-time favorite string piece. Vaughan Williams arranged it for 2 separate strings orchestras and a string quartet.

It features all of the VSL VI strings. I used the Appassionta Strings layered with the Solo Strings for Orchestra 1, Chamber Strings layered with Solo Strings for Orchestra 2, and the Solo Strings for the String Quartet. I also used a small number of articulations from VSl VI String Ensembles 1 & 2 like the harsh Violas, Cellos and the legato Basses.

It's a rather long piece (16:55) so I would recommend settling into a comfortable chair with a glass of your favorite wine before listening.

If you don't have the time to take the entire "sonic journey" then I would recommend starting somewhere around 7:30 with the entrance of the solo violin.

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=11&DemoId=5007

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Best,
    Jay

Re: VSL Appassionata, Chamber and Solo Strings Demo-- Vaughan Williams' Fantasia

I didn't know to which topic i should answer, so let's do in this one

I'm listening to the piece while writing my post and this is really outstanding job you did. Did you use appassionata for the whole piece ? I love the sound of the violas and the strings in the middle range. Very warm and a sound i never heard from VSL yet, is appassionata responsible of this sound ? or do we need to layer them with chamber strings and solo strings to get that sound ?

edit : WOW !!!!

Edit 2 : WOW!!!!!!!!!

Re: VSL Appassionata, Chamber and Solo Strings Demo-- Vaughan Williams' Fantasia

Hi Jay,

you have made a very good demo! Very well!

Appassionata is the first stringlibrarie of vsl, which pleases me. I think, you also for the other sounds a great many equalizer used?

Best regards
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I don't understand why there aren't more comments, COME ON GUYS !!!! UP

Thumbs up Re: VSL Appassionata, Chamber and Solo Strings Demo-- Vaughan Williams' Fantasia

Jay,

Fantastic! I was sitting here listening to it thinking that this is getting so close to real. I do a lot of 3D renderings for my day job and watched the software, and talented people who use it, over the years evolve and be able to produce photo realistic images. The same is happening in the sampled library world. What started out as a string sound on an ARP Solina or even the 1st sampled EMU's and Fairlights were far from "photo real" A piece like this proves that some of us are indeed there with both talent and technology. I'm sure there are a few people out there with better ears than mine that might hear a difference but to what degree? Of course, the tools are only a small percentage of the work as the ear and skills of the composer are needed to bring an instrument to life, virtual or real.

Great work!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Great job! I really enjoyed the intensity of the Appssionata strings, which at times, gave an illusion of it being really performed. You're one of the few whose demos I always listen to. Keep up the good work.

this is head and shoulders above any other string library out there. truly stunning. The mix you have with VSL, appassionata, chamber, and solo strings is completely wonderful. Of course, your skills are on display here as much as the samples.

When the solo strings are exposed, they are the weakest link. I wonder what would happen if you replaced them with Garritan's solo instruments... hope that's not heresy!

Jay,
    I have loved this piece for years, and you have done a magnificent job, rich with feeling, expressing both dramatic intensity and great subtlety. It's hard to believe this is made with only sampled sounds. I can only echo.... WOW! ALL the strings are amazing and moving, though I agree with metrobot that it would be very interesting to hear the Garritan Strad and Gofriller Cello in the solo sections.

This is no small feat you have accomplished!

Saraswati

Jay, impressive!

It must take some courage and a lot of hard work doing such a wonderful and atmospheric classic piece using samples only.
    Have listened to it now for two times. Ralph Vaughan Williams is one of my fav composers, and the Fantasia is arguably his finest work. I especially love the ambisonic recording with William Boughton and the English String Orchestra on Nimbus. It has an incredible depth and emotion to it. Perhaps even more so then the 'original' conducted by Boult.

Your sampled rendering is IMO an amazing achievement. Don't know what string libs and articulations perform at what time, but in general these sound gorgeous and believable. Already mentioned by others here, the solo violin is arguably the weakest link and could do with some improvement. It would be *very* interesting hearing the same rendering with Garittan's Strad and Gofriller!

What makes the Fantasia so unique, apart from the fine composition itself, is the use of two separate string orchestra's. In a real hall, this can result in a terrific sonic experience full of ambient warmth. This is an area where there's perhaps further room for improvement. Refinement of acoustic spacing by careful use of delays, verbs, EQ etc could lift the listening experience even more. This is certainly not easy, and subject to many different schools of thought.

On a more technical note, you could try to 'exaggerate' the spacing of the second string orchestra more using different early reflections, verbs and EQ. Perhaps inherent to using VSL, there's IMO still a slight close(r) miked feel here and there. Many would be fine with that (or contest it). In any case, it can be an interesting challenge to mimic a great hall experience. One problem is that filters and EQ's usually only give you 6, 12, 18 etc. dB/octave curves. For example, it can help applying a more subtle 3 dB/octave shelving EQ to enhance a sense of distance.

Jay, thanks again for sharing this impressive rendering of an impressive piece
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

i just realized who ripped this piece off: radiohead. this is totally what they sound like.

Go Back to forum