• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Winter Impressions

Winter Impressions

This started out as a light piano piece (improvised - which is still in there) and then was developed and filled out into a more arranged orchestral piece using string, cello and bass sections, plus a harp and oboe.

I am looking for ways to improve it (and would like to know what is right with it) as I have lost my objectivity around here somewhere.

Better to download the mp3 file when you get to the link!

Thanks in advance - Del

Re: Winter Impressions

I like it Del.

For the most part, your hands on the piano have a great touch, though I think you could lighten the left hand a bit in places and no one would hate you for it.

Your opening is great! I love the harp glisses and the playfulness of the pizz strings at points. The oboe is a little hot in the mix, I feel, and the melody it carries is sometimes a little more abstract than what you would expect from what the piano has. The background strings are effective--you might work a bit on the entrances for a smoother sound.

Great work on this Del!

Thanks Reegs - all good suggestions - appreciated! - Del

Beautifully poignant melodic work in this, Del;
    enjoyed it.

This is quite nice. Given its style (sorry, can't name it) it might benefit from more ambience/reverb. There is a certain film score quality (that's a compliment) to it, and it seems that such music utilizes a greater space.
    Still, this is just a suggestion, as the piece itself is very beautiful.

Thanks for posting this.
    Ron Pearl

David and Ron - thanks so much for taking the time to listen and offering your thoughts. It is very encouraging even though this is very much a learning process for me and I have a long way to go.

Very nice, I like it.

I agree that there is something about the oboe that is making it a little heavy in the mix, but it's certainly a subtle thing. Have you tried the other solo oboe patches to see how they sit?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Another very nice piece for us all to enjoy.
    On reading the other posts I'd like to add my 2 cents worth.
    If I were to choose an instrument for the lead part here, it would be the JABB soprano sax which I have used in a couple of my recordings. You've used oboe rather than flute in this, perhaps I'm wrong but maybe you are not so keen on the solo flute. I have reservations myself, thinking the flute to be very strident regardless of level in many mixes. Anyway your choice is the way you like it so ignore me.

Looking out for more, (grow your hair long again)

PS. I'm annoyed at being asked register before downloading your mp3 so I just listened on the hifi setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Have you tried the other solo oboe patches to see how they sit?

First, this is a well balanced compositional piece that I enjoyed very much. I like the choice of oboe here although Ray's suggestion of the sax could also work well. Jamie has some good advice too. I put an oboe concerto together not long back and I really struggled with the oboe. In the end I settled for one of the player samples (modern) as opposed to the solo classic or modern, both of which I found a little over powering. There's always the English Horn ofcourse! It might be worth experimenting. Thanks for posting.

Regards, Graham

Jamie thanks for your comments - am a big fan of your music!

Ray Soprano sax is my favourite sax (alto a close second) but I don't have JAbb. Thank for your opinions and appreciation. It is fuel for more.

Graham Your comments are appreciated! English horn sounds good too! Checked out your great music on myspace!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast