• Register
  • Help

Topic: One day...one sample library to rule them all

Share/Bookmark

One day...one sample library to rule them all

You know, I own a lot of sample orchestral libs (EWQLSO, VSL, HSO, MOTU SI, Miroslav PHil). I own three major DAWS (DP5, Logic Express, & Sonar 5). I also own notation programs like Overture 4 and Finale 2003. And for the amount of time I have to futz with assigning channels, setting up audio instruments, balancing reverbs, combining various strengths from diffierent libs, I find I end up writing very little music. that's why I went with NOTION.

However, and I'm being totally honest, I still need to use those libraries for finished work. Don't get me wrong, I love NOTION (I think anyone who has read my posts knows that). But for completely utterly realistic results, I do find I have to wrestle with Digital Performer or whatever to play through my thousand dollar libraries when the finished project isn't played by real musicians (otherwise I'd stick with NOTION).

HOWEVER, I can see the writing on the wall. I do believe that there will be a day when NOTION's inherent samples will be every bit as realistic as the current sample libraries. I don't even think that day is too far ahead in the future. Some of the instruments already sound really amazing. like the percussion, the staccatisimo strings, trills, timp rolls, wind trills, oboes, bassoons, etc. I was just imagining NOTION getting to the point (or beyond) something like VSL quality except no fussing with loading instruments or nonsense like that. You write it. You hear it. Perfect.

Anyhow, I'm probably just stirring the pot here but I do think that while some (not many though) may scoff at NOTION's current sound quality, the day is coming when it quitely will ascend to the throne of sampled orchestras and will rule supreme. And us loyal NOTIONists will modestly rejoice whilst the rest of the pack clamors to catch up.

Can you tell I'm eagerly waiting for my Solo String Kit?

Re: One day...one sample library to rule them all

I agree with the sounds being organic in their real nature.

24 bit files (Save as .wav) would help.
    Notion by far sounds best when rendered in stereo as apposed to off-laying individual instruments and re blending in another audio application (Again here is were 24 bit files would really help as well as timing velocity and volume accuracies better than Music-HML (Rewire would resolve this need)

All in one I just can't see for creative pallets but system conformity like MIDI and future products like Kore (Single Frame Shelled applications) all in one could work.

Somebody is eventually going to make a notation program that really works *well* with existing VST orchestras (dedicated keyswitch channels, for instance). That product will rule the world.

If I could fire up Finale or Sibelius or Notion, tell it "Use Kirk Hunter Emerald, EWSLSO Gold percussion, and SampleTekk Recorders via Kontakt", and have it actually work flawlessly, I'd be so happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Braindrop
    Somebody is eventually going to make a notation program that really works *well* with existing VST orchestras (dedicated keyswitch channels, for instance). That product will rule the world.

If I could fire up Finale or Sibelius or Notion, tell it "Use Kirk Hunter Emerald, EWSLSO Gold percussion, and SampleTekk Recorders via Kontakt", and have it actually work flawlessly, I'd be so happy...
    Overture 4 kinda does that already. It hosts VSTs.

Didn't even know that one existed. Have you used it? I'm getting really tired of buying notation programs that turn out not to work worth a damn with orchestral VSTs.

RIght now Overture 4 only is supported on the PC platform (a problem for Mac guys like myself even though I bought it when I was using PCs). It's not bad. I used to work with Encore 5 and Overture is basically the same program except it does more. It does import VSTs and I have done some things using EWQLSO and VSL. But personally, I don't like having to assign this channel or that channel to this sound. It's a lot of time spent if you want to encompass key switches and all that. Check out the website if you are interested but I'll personally stick with NOTION.

Cheers!

Just a quick thanks -- I took a chance on the cheap version of Overture (Scorewriter), and it works perfectly. It blows my mind that a $50 program performs flawlessly with K2 and KHE, whereas Finale and Sibelius are nothing but headaches.

Scorewriter only supports two simultaneous VSTs however. This covers about 95% of what I want to do, though. I'm definitely going to upgrade to Overture at some point, if for no other reason that to reward GenieSoft for freaking getting it right.

Brain

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    You know, I own a lot of sample orchestral libs (EWQLSO, VSL, HSO, MOTU SI, Miroslav PHil). I own three major DAWS (DP5, Logic Express, & Sonar 5). I also own notation programs like Overture 4 and Finale 2003. And for the amount of time I have to futz with assigning channels, setting up audio instruments, balancing reverbs, combining various strengths from diffierent libs, I find I end up writing very little music. that's why I went with NOTION.

However, and I'm being totally honest, I still need to use those libraries for finished work. Don't get me wrong, I love NOTION (I think anyone who has read my posts knows that). But for completely utterly realistic results, I do find I have to wrestle with Digital Performer or whatever to play through my thousand dollar libraries when the finished project isn't played by real musicians (otherwise I'd stick with NOTION).

HOWEVER, I can see the writing on the wall. I do believe that there will be a day when NOTION's inherent samples will be every bit as realistic as the current sample libraries. I don't even think that day is too far ahead in the future. Some of the instruments already sound really amazing. like the percussion, the staccatisimo strings, trills, timp rolls, wind trills, oboes, bassoons, etc. I was just imagining NOTION getting to the point (or beyond) something like VSL quality except no fussing with loading instruments or nonsense like that. You write it. You hear it. Perfect.

Anyhow, I'm probably just stirring the pot here but I do think that while some (not many though) may scoff at NOTION's current sound quality, the day is coming when it quitely will ascend to the throne of sampled orchestras and will rule supreme. And us loyal NOTIONists will modestly rejoice whilst the rest of the pack clamors to catch up.

Can you tell I'm eagerly waiting for my Solo String Kit?
    davecos,

when you compose, do you compose by playing your ideas with some librarie or do you compose only in your head, and then let`s play your composition with a librarie?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum