• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Purchase new DAW tower/case need help!

Share/Bookmark

Purchase new DAW tower/case need help!

What is the best case/tower for DAW with power supply that will support future upgrades (CPU/motherboard) and MOST IMPORTANTLY is quiet!

Any suggestions are much appreciated

(Building my new DAW one step at a time!)
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

Re: Purchase new DAW tower/case need help!

The Antec Sonata is "pretty" nice. I have a Sonata 1 and a Sonata 2.
    And I like the door on the front and the side panel door/access is very quick and good.
    But the rap about them being exceptionally quiet is very suspect in my mind.

Maybe if they were insulated.
    Possibly I'll try an Antec P180 next time.

Sonata 1:

A Sonata II:

I don't find them any quieter or cooling any better than the generic Enlight cases that I've been using for a long time.

Enlight:

Power supplies. I'd try to get that seperately.
    I've been using the Emermax NoiseTakers 485 watts and they're pretty quiet.

I have the Antec Solo case with a Seasonic power supply. Nice case. Quiet, powerful supply.

My son has the Sonata II. Also nice.

I got an antec P180 but you will need a power supply, I would recommend you an antec Phantom power, also I would change the default CPU FAN with another one if you really want a cool computer.

The only bad thing is that doesn't supports BTX but fortunately intel is not going to use BTX in the future

Thanks for the replies. It seems Antec is the way to go. I like the look of the P180. I wonder which is quieter.

BTX. DO the newest mother boards use BTX?
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    ATX boards at still the most popular. BTX never caught on. Looks like it never will...

I forgot to mention ... the other main reason I went to the Sonata was it's ability to easily hold 6 Hard Drives and 1 DVD drive ... i.e. if you get long enough cables.

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    Thanks for the replies. It seems Antec is the way to go. I like the look of the P180. I wonder which is quieter.

The P180 is probably the most quiet case around, it has two layers, one layer of plastic and one layer of aluminum, it also has a very good noise sealing for the power supply and Hard Drives, also the two fans can be configured as LO MID or HI so if you set it to LO + a special Quiet FAN for you CPU you will have a practically 0 noise system

about BTX as I said before intel won't support BTX anymore so don't care about BTX.

Cool. Thanks!!!

I am looking at this case:
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...1000_index.asp

1) -- Maximum 10 12cm cooling fans.

2) -- It has enough space to be liquid cooled should I want to pursue that in the future.

3) -- Both ATX(/BTX) and Micro ITX can be installed at once so I can have a slave core2 duo in the same case with 4GB of 667 DDR2 RAM:
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-...c307b0ccbb9a5c
    Cheers,
    Chris

Go Back to forum