Topic: OMG the new Rush tune!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking OMG the new Rush tune!!!!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Rush.com
    Far cry

OMG!!!!

And the ending is soooooo the Brian2112 chord...well, ok, the Big Al chord!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: OMG the new Rush tune!!!!!

The first chord change was totally Hemispheres.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

I had high hopes for that song, based upon the chord lifted from the opening seconds of "Cygnus X-1, Book Two" that was very strategically included in the brief teaser they had up on the Rush site before today.

It was okay... it sounds more like a cross between Rush and Porcupine Tree-circa-"Signify" (a killer good record, that).

It did not strike me as being nearly as good as the presence of "that chord" had led me to think/hope it would be... but it wasn't bad. I just wish the band would devolve into their Hemispheres/Farewell to Kings style, filled as it was with wild vision, complexity and grandeur...

We'll see... this was, after all, the "single." Maybe they get really wild on the rest of the album...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

It has to grow on me. I always think, "Hmmm? It's OK" when I first play a new track from RUSH. Then, around the 25th listen, I start to really dig it.

I don't see them going so backwards that you will hear Hampshire's 2. They are not about it. They always try to reinvent and that is what I love most about RUSH. Just think of how many hairstyles Geddy as gone though and that alone shows their musical changes
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Any more thoughts? Has it grown on you?

One thing I noticed after a few listens was the harmonized bg "ooooooohs". Now the last Rush album I bought was Presto but I heard a lot of Roll the Bones. I can't recall ever hearing Rush do bg "ooooohs" so that's a first for me.

I have to agree with Alan. I heard that Hemispheres chord and it really inflated my expectations. The little things here and there that I've liked have not come close to meeting that expectation. It's a good song, don't get me wrong. I just heard that chord and all of a sudden I was rushed back to 1988 when I first heard Hemispheres. It was a small flashback of what that band and their music meant to me. They were powerful, especially for a trio, they were intellectual and they were virtuosos; the tightest rock band ever...but most of all they had a lot of passion and emotion. So that chord reminded me of all the things I love about them and their newer stuff has less of all that I loved about them. They evolved as all bands must but everything from Fly by Night to Signals has a special place in my heart.

But it did inspire me to break out Permanent Waves after years on the shelf. That'll do. And I'm glad they're still doing it after all these years.

EDIT: I am still going to buy the album of course If you go to Peart's website he has a story about how this all came together. I guess they have a young producer they're working with. It'll be nice to hear some fresh music from them.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

In my ears, it's still only "okay."

The way I see it, even if Rush were to try and go back and create another wild, overblown, long-haired, Ayn-Rand-laden pompous masterpiece, it would still come out sounding completely different from their classic old albums, simply because both they had grown and matured so much as people and musicians. It would have been a very interesting experiment, and might have even come across as a serious "progression" from their latest-gen "radio-friendlier rock" sound.

In the meantime, I'm very excited to learn that the Bad Plus will be including a jazz-piano-trio arrangement of "Tom Sawyer" (the latest in a series of stunning rock recontextualizations) on their upcoming record. I've heard them play it live a few times, and it's great fun:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....8_release_of_p

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Well, I notice that "Far Cry" starts to get addictive after about 700 listens.
    I hear that they are using synths in some tracks again - even a Mellotron (or a sampled one).
    This CD may be a masterpiece folks - Rock music taken to it's highest level. And 3 Instrumental tracks!!!!
    It better be Rush night at the Grammy Awards this year.

But then again, maybe I am just a fanatic...

P.S. Got my Tix for the Houston Show!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I have Far Cry as my cell phone ring tone. I also have become addicted to the track.

Go Back to forum