• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion problem with GPO finale

Share/Bookmark

Question Percussion problem with GPO finale

I have a string quartet, with the second violin rapping his knuckle for a handful of measures. I would like a clave sound...or woodblock etc., to play. In the GPO Finale tutorial they say to use channel 10 for the percussion, and I've done that. I've put the percussion into layer 2 of the second violin staff, but I am still getting violin sounds from it. Is what I am trying to do impossible? Or am I just going about the wrong way? I'm using finale 2007, which I upgraded from 2006.

Andrew

Re: Percussion problem with GPO finale

You need to insert a midi channel change. For instance you could create a text expression like "to Claves", make the playback info for that expression a channel change to channel 10. Then create another expression "to Violin" with playback switching back to the original midi channel.

Jeff

you can either make an expression that will change to another channel, as preciously suggested, or you can go the "two channels on one staff" route. However, to do the latter, you will also need to assign the second (or third, or fourth) layer TO that channel, via the instrument list.

use the pull down menu for whatever violin staff you want to assign that percussion sound to, and assign the percussion channel to the layer you wish.

this way, all notes entered into that layer should sound as percussion, allowing you to have a held note for example in layer one as a violin, and tapped percussion notes playing simultaneously on channel 2.

I wanted to upload a Finale file with an example done, but for some reason can't figure out how to do so. If you want me to mail it to you, jsut let me know.

Thanks Jeff & Michael. I'll try those techniques out this afternoon. Michael, I would appreciate it if you could send me an sample file so I could examine it. BTW, we're almost neighbours — I'm in Ottawa.

Thanks for your prompt responses, I'm just getting started with this program. I'm making strides but hit a lot of walls. Thanks for helping me over this one.

Andrew

Go Back to forum