• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first crack at an Opera

Share/Bookmark

My first crack at an Opera

hello again. i just posted a new song, and i'd love some comments. i wrote it after seeing an opera show, and was inspired to write some music that had that sort of feel. also, in the second half i roughly used the chords from I'll Be Home For Christmas with some jazzy chord substitutions. well its my first crack at something with a more operatic feel, and i recommend giving it a try. its fun music, because you can make it very lyrical and almost comedic. anyway, the song is called Pizzicato (lame i know, i always have a tough time picking a name). thanks for listening, and send me some of your stuff too, i love hearing everybody's tunes.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: My first crack at an Opera

Nice. Sounds a bit more a Disney film score than opera, but that's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

My only critique is the climax phrases are not long enough. They seem to develop quickly and then subside. In opera, the builds up are usually a bit longer so that the climax is very legato and leaves you feeling exhilarated.

Very nice!

What did you use to create it?
    Earl Green

thanks for the comment, i do agree that my "segments" go rather quickly and don't develop as much as they should.

but on to your question - i used geniesoft overture to do the basic writing then edited it in sonar. i recently switched to a macbook pro and i'm using logic now, but i can't do anything with gpo because its not compatible yet, but hopefully that update will come out soon.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Lovely piece, Keith, well done. Out of a larger context
    it would be difficult to say whether it would be "operatic";
    but it might certainly serve well as an overture. As
    Earl commented, it does have a very visual, cinematic
    feel, too... with that touch of whimsy that's often
    characteristic of Disney pieces.

Whatever the case, nice writing!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum