• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL VI versus Pro Edition. Same sounds?

Share/Bookmark

VSL VI versus Pro Edition. Same sounds?

Hi folks,

I'm curious if the new Vienna Instruments utilize the same recorded sounds as the older Pro Edition library (perhaps with additional articulations and AI for the player), or if they're completely new in every respect. Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: VSL VI versus Pro Edition. Same sounds?

I think most (if not all) articulations which are found in both the sample libraries and VI are based on the same samples. My understanding is that the older 16-bit libraries are down-sampled versions of the original 24-bit recordings which have now been made available in the VI instruments. I think I also read somewhere that repetition samples have been organized/cut in a way which makes their use more flexible in VI.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    I'm curious if the new Vienna Instruments utilize the same recorded sounds as the older Pro Edition library ,,, or if they're completely new in every respect.
    Hi, Mike

VSL's first large lib was orchestra cube first edition, which was recorded at 16-bit. The second, orchestral cube Pro edition, was recorded at the same place in 24 bit and downsampled to 16.
    The Pro edition is, practically speaking, an expansion on the first edition. On a Pro edition string section, you will find for example muted strings, which is not present in the first edition. The muted strings are new recordings, but much on the Pro edition disks - at least 50% - was present in the first edition as well. There are no obvious - or sonic - disadvantages with this.

The Pro editions prime feature however, is the performance legato functionality, which was not present with the first edition at all. As I understand it, the samples for this functionality - the performane sets - contains almost only recordings from the 24 bit sessions.

My understanding is that the sounds in VI are the same as in Pro edition - with possibly an exception or two. Or an adaptaion or two.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

The first edition most certainly had a Performance set. It's sitting on my shelf.

All of the Pro Edition samples are contained within the VI Cube so of course they sound the same. The VI has a massive amount of new material and articulations so naturally that helps the realism of the final product.

Hi,

the Vienna Symphonic Library has always recorded samples at 24 bit/96 kHz. We have taken extra care of the downsampling process :-)

Both the First and the Pro Edition were in 16 bit/44.1 kHz and both featured a Performance Set.

The content for the Vienna Instruments uses realtime lossless decompression, so that 24 bit quality samples only take the space of 16 bit samples both on your harddisc and in your RAM.
    Also, some of the samples of the Vienna Instruments collections are basically "the same", but we have re-edited most of the samples (especially the Performance Patches like Performance Legato and Performance Repetitions) and of course there are 100.000s of new samples available, additionally to the ones you might know from the Pro Edition and the Horizon Series.

These new samples (like, e.g., the Performance Trills or Fast Legatos) really only make sense with the interface of the Vienna Instruments. Features like Speed Control give you new possibilities, as you can automatically switch from slow Legato patches to faster Legato patches to Performance Trills!

Best,

Paul Steinbauer
    Product Manager
    Vienna Symphonic Library

Jeez ... got lectured up pretty bad here.
    I was so sure. I need to do my homework better in the future.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum