• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pluto, Requiem For A Planet

Share/Bookmark

Pluto, Requiem For A Planet

Ok, I have really worked on this. I've listened to post here by the experts who really put out nicely engineered works. I am slowly learning how to use Sonar HS 6XL to create a more 'live' performance. I know I have a long way to go, but here is my re-mastering of a work that will be performed this spring. I've tried to pay attention to spatial location and stereo mastering. I know I am far from getting the whole package, but I thought I'd throw this out for some help and pointers as to where to go next in mastering a good recording. So, pleased, take a "whack" at this rendition.

Pluto, Requiem For A Planet

Thanks Etlux, I took your advice and added reverb. It does sound better.
    Last edited by wrayer; 03-14-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added reverb to the mix

Re: Pluto, Requiem For A Planet

The piece itself, I think, is going to work quite, quite
    well in live performance, Bill.

The main thing on the rendering -- now bear in mind
    that I'm a technical idiot -- it sounds very, very dry,
    to me. I don't work with Sonar at all; so I cannot
    offer any thoughts on that.

For the heck of it, I downloaded it here and slapped
    a little reverb from Ambience on it... and it makes
    quite a difference!

That's bad procedure, of course -- adding reverb
    to a file already compressed into an .mp3... but I think
    if you try that yourself, you'll see immediately what I
    mean.

Good luck on the upcoming performance!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David, and yes you are correct, it sounds much warmer with reverb. (so many steps, so little time...)

I went and added in reverb to the original sonar project and I changed the link to reflect the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Thanks David, and yes you are correct, it sounds much warmer with reverb. (so many steps, so little time...)

I went and added in reverb to the original sonar project and I changed the link to reflect the new version.
    Just relistened that, Bill.

Heck of a difference, isn't it! And it probably wouldn't
    hurt to add a tad more, even.

Reverb is *always* my Achilles Heel, too, by the way.
    Hours and hours at it, and I'm never sure if I've gotten
    it near right -- probably usually I don't... lol.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very nice job on this! I like the quotes from earlier movements that sneak in. In terms of rendering, the only suggestion I have is, it sounds as though you could benefit from using the sustain pedal to smooth out some of the note to note movement in the strings; there is a mwa-mwa-mwa that is occasionally noticeable in the 1st violins. Other than that I thought it was well done. Structurally, or compositionally I don't have anything to comment on. Nice job!

When I first started to listen, my thought was that it is difficult to take on a planet without invoking Holst - and lo and behold, he appears. I thought the quotes very well woven into the fabric of the piece, and worked as organic reference points. I'm not sure I caught all of them, but they are a nice touch.

I would agree with the poster above who mentioned the strings - the attack(s) at times have a wha-wha quality (don't you like how we all try to describe it?). Personally, I find that using several individual samples sound better than the strings-plural, but then that also reflects my ability/inability to do anything with audio. This is not to take away from a fine piece, which this is; please take it is a potentially helpful criticism.

Thanks for posting this. It is worth the download!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks to all for the comments. Yes I did notice the'wah wah' sound of the strings and did a bit of re-work to correc it. I will post that soon, just need sometime to get it in shape.

Gee you guys have good ears! Hearing is a lot easier than 'mastering'.

[QUOTE=wrayer]Ok, I have really worked on this. QUOTE]

Gosh - this really has come on! I enjoyed first time 'round but the rendering has much improved since.

As others have said, I think this will work well. It provides contrast with the other movements in the suite - but is equally very much in keeping with it.

Good luck. Graham

Thanks Graham. I find the composing a lot easier than the rendering. Though I must admit, real performers make mistakes. The only mistakes in rendering are by the renderer. Live performance has it's drawbacks, but also its rewards! can't wait til May when it is performed live.

Bill - a great effort here! Well done! I think all the concerns mentioned above are valid. It is always easier to comment on someone else's work because when you compose something you are hearing it sooo many times as compared to one or two times with someone else's music. Although I think your work deserves more listens as there is so much going on. I find putting reverb on is like walking a tightrope. Too much and the piece drowns - too little and it scratches (especially with strings) We all struggle with this!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast