• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan MP3 Upload Page

Share/Bookmark

Garritan MP3 Upload Page

An update on the upload page.

Throughout today several tracks have been uploaded that on listening have nothing to do with Gary's libraries. These of course get deleted but it means I have to keep checking frequently and worse, I have to listen assorted Rap and strange tunes...

To prevent this, I would like to add a user registration system for anyone wishing to use the demo upload facility. It works like this, add a login name and email address and you will be emailed a password. You can edit your profile information if you like and then go to the upload page which will be protected.

This if course is not as easy as just browsing to the page and uploading your demos. I'd like to hear your opinions, objections etc, before deciding to implement a registration system.

I have temporarily password protected the upload page. If you would like to upload any files please PM or email me for login details.

Re: Garritan MP3 Upload Page

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    This if course is not as easy as just browsing to the page and uploading your demos. I'd like to hear your opinions, objections etc, before deciding to implement a registration system.
    Tony, thanks for this. I appreciate the effort that helped to make this facility available to those (like me) that need it. So if it means having to register to stop others spoiling things - that's fine by me. And thanks again for making this available to us.

Regards, Graham

Would the registration be tied to your registered owners database? That would help to ensure that Garritan libraries were indeed being used on the tracks submitted.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

That would involve having to deal with NI. Inorder to do that, they would have to open their database server to external connections. This, of course would open a wide security hole in their site.

Let's do it.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I don't see anything wrong with some form of registration.

Just how much of the piece would have to be done in Garritan? For instance, I just completed a piece that uses wind chimes that I sampled myself, a Juno bass sample from E-mu, strings from Garritan, and a bit of vocal from Bela D. Media's Diva. Would the inclusion of the strings from GPO be enough? Or would you prefer that most of the sounds be from Garritan? I expect you want to be flexible, so maybe some general rule would suffice.
    juan

I am only using Garritan library but the demos seems to be removed anyway.
    Perhaps because I missed the ID tag?

Björn

Please be sensible when deciding if enough Garritan samples have been used in your track. This demo upload facility is a means of showcasing Garritan libraries with music produced by registered users.

Missing or incorrect ID tags will mean your track getting deleted. It's pretty simple to do, see previous posts or PM me if you're stuck.

Well, another day another rap tune. I have deleted the track and temporarily password protected the upload page. If you want to upload any tracks PM or email me for login details.

Hello Tony,

I totally agree with you. This facility is to showcase Gary's libraries. Therefore the vast majority of each track should feature Garritan libraries. The case for some 'discretion' or 'freedom' to use other samples may be voiced but, nonetheless, it must be obvious that the essential feature must be Gary's samples.

From what you say it does appear that this is being abused and therefore registration seems entirely reasonable to me unless someone can come up with a fair alternative.

It is my view that artists genuinely using Gary's libraries for the majority of their tracks would have no problems with some form of 'moderator' control when offering their works.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum