• Register
  • Help

Topic: could it crash because it plays too fast?

Share/Bookmark

could it crash because it plays too fast?

Hello everybody

I'm experiencing some crashes with GPO (and Cubase), and I need some help.

First of all, I must say that I'm working with an old version of cubase VST (but I didn't have this problem so far, and everything worked nicely until now). I know that I should update my cubase, but I can't do it for now.

I'm working on a string quartet, and I've assigned each instrument to a solo KS string. The VST monitor shows that i'm never over 40% of the CPU usage.

Some passages are VERY fast, since I need to write each and every note of trills and tremolos. Could it be that when it's required to play very fast passages GOP crashes?

It doesn't crash during playing. It usually crashes when I try to open a score or an edit window. Cubase just shuts down, and I have to restart the computer.

I use the Key Switches a lot, could this also cause a problem? Does it matter how short a KS note is? (i.e. does it have to be "no less" than a 1/16 in a 120bpm tempo or something like that?)

I also thought that it could have been incoherent instances of the pedal markers for the legato, for instance: a "pedal down" sign to which does not follow a "pedal up". I've tryied to clean all the wrong pedal marks but it still crashes.

I've tryied to open four instances of GOP, since I thought that it was too big of a load for a single instance; I've assigned each instance to a different Midi Channel, and to a different audio output. It crashed again.

Could it have something to do with latency? What latency value should I use to be on the safe side?

Well... it think this is all, I'd really appreciate any help.

Mario

Re: could it crash because it plays too fast?

I had a series of crashes on a project. I had partially-filled four instances, in trying to organize each instance by instrument family. At one point I changed that idea and filled each instance to the max, consecutively, and then it worked fine. No crashes. Try it, and let the list know if that solves your problem.

Rebecca
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.4; full GPO, JABB, C&MB; Cubase SL3.1.1.944; Finale 2007c; KP2.

Thank you Rebecca

That would be the situation I started on. I had only one instance (it wasn't completely filled in, since I only need four strings for that piece), and it crashed a lot. Now it is divided in four instances, and it crashes a little bit less, at least I can work on the piece saving every few minutes. Thank you anyways.

Mario

GPO shouldn't crash your machine. What are your computer specs? The only time I've had crashing problems was from my soundcard driver. My new system hasn't crashed once but it has a different soundcard in it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    GPO shouldn't crash your machine. What are your computer specs? The only time I've had crashing problems was from my soundcard driver. My new system hasn't crashed once but it has a different soundcard in it.

Jim
    I hate my Internet... I had to write this three times...

Hello Jim, thank you for your interest. Haydn was an amazing composer.

The computer itself doesn't crash. Cubase just closes down, and to restart it I have to restart the computer.

My system:
    Pentium 4 3.20 GHz. 2 GB ram. Windows xp service pack 2. Midi is a M-Audio Midisport 2x2. It has an onboard soundcard (soundmax), but cubase works with a Terratec EWX 24/96. Do you need other information?

Am I sure there's no conflicts betwen the two sound cards? No, but I don't know how to take care of that, and also, to the extent of my knowledge, I didn't have any soundcard related problems so far. I made cubase NOT see the soundmax.

If you are a computer wizard, another useful piece of information could be:
    When I shut off windows (whatever I have been doing before), sometimes I had to repeat the procedure (alt F4 - click on shut off) twice. It's like if there are two sessions of windows running at the same time. I think I started having this problem with GPO about at the same time when this strange behaviour occurred first. Could it have something to do with a new Direct X which was installed when I downloaded the stupid NASA WorldWind thing (it's a software to watch satellite images of the Planet)???

As I said on my first post, I am using a rather old version of Cubase (Score VST 5.1), which is said not to be 100% ok with XP, but I didn't have major problems so far. Also, I've been using GPO for many projects, and so far only this quartet is giving me this problem. As I said, in some passages there are many very fast notes, and a rather intensive use of Key Switches.

Any ideas?

Mario

Ok there's another thing... COULD it have something to do with the Chase Events function in Cubase? I've disabled that function and I've tryied to do the things that usually make cubase shut down (like opening an editor, playing a short part, opening another editor, move around) and it didn't happen... Could chase events cause some problems?

ciao

Mario

It's possible that the VST implementation in the version your using may not be up to date. It seems to me that I saw a post regarding this somewhere about a year ago but I'm not sure where it was. I'm not a Cubase user so this is just a guess.

Also, I would disable the other soundcard or at least turn off system sounds.

Jim

It's possible that the VST implementation in the version your using may not be up to date. It seems to me that I saw a post regarding this somewhere about a year ago but I'm not sure where it was. I'm not a Cubase user so this is just a guess.

Also, I would disable the other soundcard or at least turn off system sounds.

Jim
    It's definitely possible, the strange thing is that it does it only on this piece. Thanks anyway

Hi, perhaps monitor the processor load with the windows task manager.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum