• Register
  • Help

Topic: For the money, which brass instrument for pop/rock/jazz?

Share/Bookmark

For the money, which brass instrument for pop/rock/jazz?

Taking money into consideration, which brass library is best suited for pop/rock/jazz?

I have been looking at Kick [ a s s ] brass, First Call Horns, Garritan's Big Band Brass and some loop libraries.

In your opinion, which of the above, or any you have researched, gives a good full sound and is available as a virtual instrument?

I am looking for a good brass solution that includes all the necessary playing styles for solo and sections.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Mike

Re: For the money, which brass instrument for pop/rock/jazz?

I know you mentioned "Virtual Instrument", but I would highly recommend Quantum Leap Brass - old but still the best for this kind of stuff. Or if you have a bigger budget, then I would consider the new (Sonivox) Broadway Big Band which is shipping in a couple of weeks - this IS a VST.

No one else can help?

I am looking at KAB, Last Call Horns and Garritan JABB. Sonivox is too much money for me ($2,500 whew - that just makes me sweat). Of course, I need to look at project sam as well. Have not looked at those.

I already have ORCHESTRAL brass covered. With Bob Brass (Sampletekk), K2 VSL light, KHSO Emerald and EWQLSO Gold XP, I have quite a bit of brass.

I want biting, punchy, big brass sound for pop, rock and high energy music. Awesome horn sections that seem to rip through the speakers!

Anyone have any opinions?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    No one else can help?

I am looking at KAB, Last Call Horns and Garritan JABB. Sonivox is too much money for me ($2,500 whew - that just makes me sweat). Of course, I need to look at project sam as well. Have not looked at those.

I already have ORCHESTRAL brass covered. With Bob Brass (Sampletekk), K2 VSL light, KHSO Emerald and EWQLSO Gold XP, I have quite a bit of brass.

I want biting, punchy, big brass sound for pop, rock and high energy music. Awesome horn sections that seem to rip through the speakers!

Anyone have any opinions?

Mike
    What about the Chris Hein Horns. Lots of articulations and a fair price.
    regards
    Raindog

I second "Quantum Leap Brass". Sonically, it's still hard to compete with that library. Granted, there are only a hand full of articulations, and even less velocity levels... but the room they recorded in sounds absolutely marvelous, and there are no loops used in the samples. each note plays until the player runs out of breath.

I'm also going to throw out a recommendation to Garritan's Big Band and Jazz. Out of the box, this library might not impress. Even after programming with it a little bit, you still might feel like it's nothing much to write home about.

But once you spend the time tweaking all the MIDI controller info that lies under the hood, this library really starts to come to life. Utilizing that MIDI CC info is crucial to it sounding "real". Many people haven't ventured that far into it.

I have used it with much success, and had even more eye opening results when layered with Quantum Leap Brass.

FWIW, I have never bought KAB, but was always impressed with how the demos on their web-siye sounded. I opted not to get it however, because it's an older library, and I didn't want to be as limited as I was with some aspects of QLB (which STILL sounds amazing). Garritan's library offered me the assorted articulations needed, without breaking the bank.

Personally, I think for Jazz and pop, you still need to have a few libraries, utilizing the strengths of each, to complete the big picture.

Sonivox's new library has indeed raised the bar considerably.

Jaimo,

By any chance do you have any examples of the QLB in a jazz/pop/funk tune? If so, I'd really love to hear it...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Jaimo,

By any chance do you have any examples of the QLB in a jazz/pop/funk tune? If so, I'd really love to hear it...
    Here is QLB with Chris Hein - Horns in perfect harmony:

An instrumental Jazz-Guitar version:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Jaz...JazzGuitar.mp3
    And as playback:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Jaz...r/Fever_PB.mp3

Cast:

1.Trumpet - Chris Hein Horns
    2.Trumpet - Quantum Leap Brass
    3.Trumpet - Chris Hein Horns
    4.Trumpet - Old Roland Brass

1.Alto Sax - Chris Hein Horns
    2.Alto Sax - Quantum Leap Brass
    1.Tenor Sax - Chris Hein Horns
    2.Tenor Sax - Quantum Leap Brass
    Bariton Sax - Old Roland Brass

1.Trombone - Chris Hein Horns
    2.Trombone - VSL Trombone
    3.Trombone - Chris Hein Horns
    4.Trombone - SAM Horns

Guitar: Chris Hein Jazz-Guitar (mostly acoustic signal)
    Piano: Giga Piano
    Bass: Chris Hein Upright Bass
    Drums: Addictive Drums with some additional Cymbals

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

If you are looking for a really punchy trumpet, you might also want to check out the Screaming Trumpet library (http://www.warpiv.com/1050394.html). It features Wayne Bergeron (www.waynebergeron.com) playing a zillion articulations that scream all the way into the extreme upper register.

Here are a couple of recent demos.

http://www.warpiv.com/files/22555783.mp3
    http://www.warpiv.com/files/24028489.mp3

I hope this helps,
    Jeff Steinman

Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Taking money into consideration, which brass library is best suited for pop/rock/jazz?

I have been looking at Kick [ a s s ] brass, First Call Horns, Garritan's Big Band Brass and some loop libraries.

In your opinion, which of the above, or any you have researched, gives a good full sound and is available as a virtual instrument?

I am looking for a good brass solution that includes all the necessary playing styles for solo and sections.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Mike
    I seem to remember the recent release of a "Broadway brass" library. I don't remember the developer. Perhaps that might suit your purposes.

I think by Broadway Brass you may be referring to the Broadway Big Band mentioned above, which is out of karma's price range

One which utilises loops that is a relatively new library is Greg Adams Big Band Brass, although I have no experience with this one.

Go Back to forum