• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Got the Gofriller yesterday! First impressions...

Share/Bookmark

Talking Got the Gofriller yesterday! First impressions...

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I last posted (the forum even tells you to post something when you log in if you've been MIA!)

So, I had to share my excitement. I received my Gofriller Cello in the mail yesterday. I had only ordered in a few days before, so I was very excited to receive it so quickly! Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. It sounds just awesome (and not in the 80's kind of way - the actual awe inspiring meaning of the word) ! I already have the Strad, but it seems that the Gofriller uses a slightly different playing technique - for the better, IMHO. The articulations seem to be more automated based on velocity and transition speed to mimic a more true-to-life, musical performance. The portamento between notes is much more reserved by default than the Strad (thankfully - I changed the default for the Strad as it was just a bit too "weepy" when trying to play a legato line between intervals of more than a third).

I was at first surprised by the octave shift when I played the first note - my ear expecting something else when I pressed C below middle C (don't get me started on the C2, C3, etc. debate - one of the few things I don't like with Sonar). However, I like having the playability in the middle of the keyboard, as it facilitates playing fast passages with both hands (I know I could just move my rear to the left side of my bench...).

My last post was a demo of Brandenburg #2 - 3rd Mvt. with GPO and the Strad. I promised Mvts. 1 & 2 and I have mostly finished #1. Now that I have the Gofriller, I can have a proper solo cello (very important for this piece, as it is very exposed - especially in Mvts. 2 & 3). I will repost Mvt. 3 soon with Gofriller in place of GPO for some comparison.

I write primarily for strings and chorus, so with the eventual release of the Pietro Pallotta viola, I'm looking forward to having a playable string quartet!

Thank you Gary, for helping us to make music! It's great to have a musician creating musical instruments in the digital realm that are capable of being expressive and providing wonderful value for the bulk of us who are starving artists!

Warmest regards,

Trevor Rutkowski
    Trevor Blu Rutkowski
    Colorado, USA

Re: Got the Gofriller yesterday! First impressions...

I was just thinking of posting the question, "how's the Cello ... Mello?" So, when can we expect a demo?
    Nice!
    Styxx

Sounds like it's loads of fun. Looking forward to any recordings! Oh, does anyone know if it is already availlable in Europe?

so with the eventual release of the Pietro Pallotta viola
    Huh? Did I miss something *again*?

Theres going to be a Pietro Pallotta Viola, and some sort of Double Bass lib, not exactly sure which kind of Bass, but, there will be one!
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Maybe broke but definitely f---ing happy...

I just got the Gofriller yesterday, and am going to revamp one cue and compose another with it this weekend. Simply amazing. Play it against the SSV or one of the winds in GPO, and it's pure magic. I mean, I have a fairly well developed sense of how this technology works (everyone at NSS does, I would think) and the end result still feels and sounds like "magic" to me when I play something back.

Bravo, Gary and team!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    The bass is an Amati. I don't think it is the one whose lineage is in dispute - I believe it is from a real Amati.

The viola should arrive sometime around mid to late Summer and the bass should be out sometime towards the latter part of the year - actually Gary seems to have an overabundance of stuff coming out all through this year. (Steinway, Choirs, GOS2, Marching Band, GEM, Viola, Bass, GPOA, and some stuff Gary hasn't let out of the bag yet.)

It's looking like a some people are going to be broke for the better part of this year because of this.
    You sure about that? They were talking about GPOA back in 2005. I think that a lot of rethinking has been done, and Garritan is definately heading in the right direction. To be honest I think he should apply this new "sonic morphing technology" to all of the instruments he has included in his packages to this date, and that includes JABB, the new marching band collection, and of course the upcoming GPOA. If he can do this, he might be able to start working on some exotic instruments, like doing an ethnic one for South America (with panpipes, etc), one for a Celtic instruments collection (bagpipes, irish whistles, etc), you name it. With the new sonic morphing technology we could have ultra-realistic emulations of all of these instruments.

But with the new WIVI instruments coming along Wallander may very well beat Garritan to the punchline, since these phenomenal behavioural modelling resynthesis instruments may use less memory than do samples, even at the cost of potentially more processor power.

I think Gary should take part by offering some of those samples and maybe take part in some sort of divided benefit between Gary and Arne. Gary can provide the samplesets for some of the harder-to-get instruments and Arne can design the instruments, and then they can each take their part in the proceeds. Think it can't be done? It can indeed be done. It has been done with the Solo Strad and the Gofriller, the guy that developed the sonic morphing technology got patents for his very hard work, and he joined hands with Gary and in a perfect marriage of Giorgio's technological magic and Gary's sampling genius these amazing instruments came about.

It can be done. It can indeed.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benjamind
    You sure about that? They were talking about GPOA back in 2005. I think that a lot of rethinking has been done, and Garritan is definately heading in the right direction. To be honest I think he should apply this new "sonic morphing technology" to all of the instruments he has included in his packages to this date, and that includes JABB, the new marching band collection, and of course the upcoming GPOA.

Ben

Ben,

We are very sorry to say that your proposal is unfortunately untenable.

As previously reported, no Garritan’s “sonic morphing technology” actually exists.

This is just a fancy name given by Garritan to the possibilities offered by patent-pending processes, namely:

1) "Determination of modal resonances and body impulse response of a musical instrument by analysis of sounds performed with pitch changes. Application to the synthesis of vibrato & portamento with samplers”, and

2) "Time alignment of the phase of a set of musical sounds to be used with samplers", filed by, and only belonging to Giorgio Tommasini and Stefano Lucato, as of September 2004.

This means that the above processes could be legally applied to JABB, the new marching band collection, and the upcoming GPOA, only by Giorgio Tommasini & Stefano Lucato.

Nevertheless, our formal proposal to carry out all processing for GPOA got no reply.

We were also informed by Mr. Garritan that processing of the Pallota viola, Guarneri violin, and Amati double bass was no longer required.

Sincerely,

Giorgio Tommasini & Stefano Lucato

That is a bit of a thunderbolt. No string quartet then? Surely that cannot be so. But if so, is there a new plan to replace the one-vibrato-fits-all existing GPO samples?

In an update report almost two months ago, Gary had this to say.

As previously mentioned, Strad 2.0r and Gofriller Cello are shipping and working well. We are rethinking our strategy with regards to all of the strings. We don't yet know for sure which changes will come about but will keep you informed when we decide. GOS 2 is coming along quite well and we're adding new capabilities for it in our new player. We'll post more information about the strings later.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    We were also informed by Mr. Garritan that processing of the Pallota viola, Guarneri violin, and Amati double bass was no longer required.

Sincerely,

Giorgio Tommasini & Stefano Lucato
    This is quite a surprise to me. Everyone seems happy with the Strad & Gofriller. Gary must have a mightly powerful ace up his sleeve to take this in a different direction.

The WIVI instrumeny has been mentioned. I haven't heard it, but have read some very positive reviews of it. It seems much less demanding on a computer's resources than current Garritan products. If Gary follow this trend with future libraries we'll all be winners.

Jeff

Go Back to forum