• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Choir Library?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Choir Library?

Other projects
    The Choir library has been recorded and we are in the process of editing and programming. Coming along quite nicely.

What where when how? Anyone knows anything of anykind about it? Features? ETA? Expected price? Any info greatly appreciated!

Re: Garritan Choir Library?

In my Sweeetwater catalogue, I see the ad for "Symphonic Choirs" from EastWest/Quantum Leap. The description makes it sound pretty amazing:

--Five choirs: boys, soprano, alto, tenor, and bass.

--recorded with close, stage, and hall mics, so you can mix together any combination of mic positions to control tone and ambience.

THE MOST AMAZING PART

"Symphonic Choirs includes a special WordBuilder utility for the Mac and PC that enables you to type in words for the choirs to sing--you have to hear this to believe it!"

"...not only can you create a realistic MIDI version of Mozart's 'Don Giovanni', but with advanced 24-bit processing and 256-voice polyphony, you can even give Wagner a run for his money and create some truly large-scale operatic ensembles..."

Price--$495 in the catalogue, with a quoted list price of $995.

--wow--To have a sampled choir able to sing more than Ah and Ooh would certainly be exciting.

Randy
    (rbowser)

Randy,

One thing to be really aware of the SC by EW.

I use them and they are qutie tricky. To get realistic results it needs A LOT of time and A LOT of learning.

You can get pretty good results, especially when bledning it with orchestra, but there is one thing people are always compaining and for a very good reason:

The ranges of (mainly) the soprano and Bass are REALLY REALLY messed up.

Soprano goes down to A4 so it is missing a mj 6th to middle C. And goes up to E5 (or is it 6?) the one with 3 ledger lines above the staff, that noone will ever use!

Aproximately the same issues with the Bass.

If you plan on using the SC for real choir writing that you do, becasue you know about choirs, you will be really dissapointed. If you are ready to do some compromise then you will be alright.

There will be an update later on this year hopefully...

Hello, folks. I mostly lurk, but I want to chime in on EW's Symphonic Choirs. I do not intend to bash EW. It is one user's legitimate experience and opinion on the current state of this product.

While I think it's a great idea and it can sound pretty darn good, I think that EW dropped the ball on this package.

First off, the ranges problem excludes any real choir writing unless you're willing to use altos to fill in for sopranos, etc. For me, that's not an option because the only reason to go through all the trouble of "making" the choir sing actual phrases is to have the choir at least somewhat in the forefront. Also, EW has been quite, well, rude to people who brought this issue up on their forum. Very unresponsive with any adequate solutions.

Again, the only solution that EW has come up with is to use other voices to fill in the gaps, i.e. using altos to fill in for the missing sopranos. The only explanation they have brought forth is that there is a Kompakt limit on how many samples can be loaded in one multi at a time. I don't believe this to be an adequate explanation since EW could have easily given us the choice of 2 soprano multis, for example, to cover the whole realistic range.

Second, WordBuilder has been very unpredictable for me. I set everything up correctly and my system is clean. I learned how to use it properly. I believe it is an unstable release which has not been fixed. It's been quite some time since it's release as well. The problems I've encountered are crashing, unpredictable behavior when editing, held notes that cannot be fixed except by restarting both WordBuilder AND the sequencer host, etc.

For these reasons, this library has turned out to be a 400.00 dollar paper weight FOR ME.

Just an opinion. Read their forum closely. Search for all the posts on WordBuilder problems and the ranges problem. Make an informed decision.

Cornel

Excellent reporting from all, thank you so much.

hehe--my post Did sound something like an ad. Well, I was quoting their ad literature.

And the post was meant to be a question about the quality and usability of the program--I have a pretty good picture now, thanks to you guys. I think I'll do some thread hunting though, so I can hear the samples that were posted.

I'd much rather stay with Garritan libraries--GPO and JABB I'm in love with, and will add more to my arsenal as my studio piggy bank fills up.

I'm wondering if the Garritan choir will have something like this Word Building utility? Problematic as this part of the EW program sounds, it would obviously be a great plus if it can be made to work--I don't think many people want to hear too many more generic choir samples singing just "Ah" and/or "OOh."

Thanks again for the info, guys.

Randy
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Excellent reporting from all, thank you so much.

hehe--my post Did sound something like an ad. Well, I was quoting their ad literature.

And the post was meant to be a question about the quality and usability of the program--I have a pretty good picture now, thanks to you guys. I think I'll do some thread hunting though, so I can hear the samples that were posted.

I'd much rather stay with Garritan libraries--GPO and JABB I'm in love with, and will add more to my arsenal as my studio piggy bank fills up.

I'm wondering if the Garritan choir will have something like this Word Building utility? Problematic as this part of the EW program sounds, it would obviously be a great plus if it can be made to work--I don't think many people want to hear too many more generic choir samples singing just "Ah" and/or "OOh."

Thanks again for the info, guys.

Randy
    (rbowser)
    When Gary was taking inventory of user suggestions, many proffered some sort of word builder function. I have a feeling Gary took notice.

But I also have a feeling that Gary is going to have some new features that no other library offers. Maybe section building? It will certainly be interesting when all is revealed.

I always think positive. It will be GREAT. And finally Garritan can make just one tune and add words to it from his own lib in every available language.

A singing announcement next time?

Raymond

Thanks, Raymond

I shall anxiously await!

Randy
    (rbowser)

Well regarding EW I need to be clear: It is something that no other choir library does at the moment, and it comes with great flaws. There are things to fix (I actually used the altos twice, and no sopranos in one song for example), but the WB is build ok. Idon't know what Cornel is using but I never had a problem with WB, with Cubase SL3.

They have been mroe than rude to the customer complaints, and even worst in the update 1.09, there is a missing "s" from the F mics in altos non pitched, but they refused to fix it, simply because PLAY is on it's way. ! ! !

Anyways, still it is the only library which can actually sing words and Roberto (Beach) has proven that it can sing right! Even if it takes you all day to get a phrase like "I am dying to finish this off!!!!!"

I noted this reply on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Yes, we will be using our own sampler. It will sing words if that is what you mean by articulations - yes, it will be articulate (just like politicians )

GG

Go Back to forum