• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dauntless Knight played "live"

Share/Bookmark

Dauntless Knight played "live"

Hi all:

Didn't post an advance notice about one of the greatest days in my life because I didn't want Murphry's Law to interfere; but, here goes:

On Sunday, March 11, 2007, the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of James Sadewhite, performed a 15 minute Symphonic Programme piece written by yours truly. It is entitled, "Dauntless Knight" and is the story, told in music, of Christopher Reeve's equestrian accident in May, 1995. The piece starts with the Equestrian Event (trumpet calls, etc.) and moves along to his accident where he was paralyzed after a fall from his mount.

Most of you are probably familiar with this incident.

The ensuing parts of the composition describe, musically, his Will to Live, Organizing his Mind and planning his recovery, his Travels to secure funds for Spinal Cord Research, Prayers for Christopher Worldwide, Partial Bodily Independence, and in the end I wrote the piece to have him make a Full Recovery. Hence, the title, "Dauntless Knight." One writer wrote, "May his faith, courage and tenacity fulfill his commitment to not only LIVE, but to HEAL."
    The concert program also included the Prometheus Overture by Beethoven, the Cello Concerto in B Flat by Boccherini (performed by Daniel Miller, Cellist, who is currently appearing in the Broadway musical "Wicked"), Waldesruhe by Dvorak, and the Carmen Suite #1 by Bizet.

My composition was to be performed right after the Intermission. Surprisingly, after the intermission was over, I was called up to the front of the concert hall and presented with a Proclamation from the Mayor of Yonkers' Office that, "March 11, 2007 will be known as JOHN CANNON DAY in Yonkers, New York. It didn't hurt to have been a native of this city either...lol......But, I was overcome with a gesture of this kind.

With that complete, the program continued. After my piece was played, I was humbly surprised at the loud applause and shouts of praise, but the unexpected "icing on the cake," was that 50-60 people in the audience wanted me to autograph their programs. This was so unexpected and made me feel all the work I had done for this Christopher Reeve piece was not in vain. In our technological society of today, composing a piece of music with the aid of a computer and printing out a complete conductor's score and player parts is common-place, but it is an exacting and arduous task. I thought of all the work involved to complete that individual goal while I was receiving the appreciation from the audience.

After the concert, I was invited to a reception where additional photos were taken and where I met with friends I hadn't seen since I was a teenager. Being a senior citizen--that's a real treat. Also, many of my East Coast relatives were present. The President of the Philharmonic also presented me with a "financial gift" which was to help with my travel expenses. Since I was hosted by wonderful relatives in the New York area, this wasn't really necessary, but accepted with gratitude.

I send this message along to you, my Forum members, in the hope that a lot of you will someday experience what I did after so many years of study and hard work. Dauntless Knight wasn't the first composition I had performed by a "live" orchestra; it was the 9th, but it was my greatest excitement to date.

During my acceptance speech of the Mayor's Proclamation, I proudly ended with, "It was great to have been born and raised in Yonkers, but, after so many years, it's greater to be back." My only sadness was that Christopher nor his wife Dana could be present for this tribute to him and his legacy of providing a cure for spinal cord injuries.

(Hope I haven't used up my allotment of Forum space for the month of March)

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Dauntless Knight played "live"

This is wonderful!

Jack, I could not possibly be happier for you!

Many, many, many, many, many congratulations!

With great applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is great Jack!
    For those confused by my calling him Jack, sometimes Jack uses John.
    So, this must have been incredible to experience not only your composition being played by a real orchestra, but the feeling of satisfaction for doing something so special in honor of Christopher and his wife. After all, it was his wife that kept him going in most aspects.

I offer my appreciation to you Jack for such a noble thing to do.
    You deserve the credit and the acknowledgment.

Congratulations!
    Dan

JOHN CANNON DAY!!! And it's official.

This is one of those moments that dreams are made of and you did it!

I cannot think of anyone more deserving of this honor than you. You are an inspiration to us. You grace this forum not only with your music, but your helpful spirit and encouragement to others.

Thanks for telling us about this marvelous experience. I hope many follow your example to persevere and never give up.

We are so happy to hear of your success and wishing you many more.

Gary Garritan

Jack's one of my favorite guys around here.

I just gotta say it twice:

Congratulations, Jack!

Gosh, I get a thrill out of news like this... seeing
    "one of our own" do well like this brings a great,
    big, huge smile to my face!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jack...
    Props, congrats, kudos, mazel tov!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Jack...
    mazel tov!!
    and here I thought it was muzzel tuff !

me

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    This is wonderful!

Jack, I could not possibly be happier for you!

Many, many, many, many, many congratulations!

With great applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David:

Thanks for the applause.....I can hear it now that I have been home for a few days..........lol. Your support and friendship have always been motivational instruments in my musical life.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I offer my appreciation to you Jack for such a noble thing to do.
    You deserve the credit and the acknowledgment.

Congratulations!
    Dan
    Yes, Dan, it was an incredible experience and for the reasons you quoted. But, it was also such "satisfaction pay" for all the work involved in getting it completed. I think I worked on this 15 minute composition for about a year including the conductor's score and player parts, but it was a labor of love. That paid off too as the conductor, when he read the score carefully, didn't find one wrong note (just a misplaced accidental that I inserted by hitting the wrong key in Finale).

I kept thinking how lucky I was to be able to compose music and how good I felt, physically, compared to Christopher who was undergoing a tortuous daily routine just to stay alive and breathe the earth's air..........

Thanks again, Dan

Jack

Wow, congratulations! Marvelous.

Jim

Go Back to forum