• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Concerto in Ab

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto in Ab (Ooops! F# min)

Here's my Piano Concerto.

http://www.garritan.net/player

(Tracks have got a bit shuffled with 'Images of Bude' which I posted earlier - so be careful when selecting - unless you want to launch Bude again! :-)

I've been upgrading this to Finale 2007. The last movement was posted sometime ago and the first, quite recently although I have tweaked both since. The middle movement hasn't been posted before. Towards the end of this movement, there's a bit of a cut and paste job where I restate a few bars that appear earlier. I've left it in for now - but I might take it out and let the movement end quietly. Comments always greatly appreciated.

Regards, Graham

PS thanks to those that have participated in the discussions elsewhere on the forum about whether I need to transpose this for the sake of the woodwind and brass!
    Last edited by GrahamKeitch; 03-18-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Removed mySpace as source

Re: Piano Concerto in Ab

Hi Graham:

I've listened to your Piano Concerto twice, but it is so faint with the volume all the way up (especially in the beginning), I could not hear all of the orchestration. What I did hear, I liked very much. I thought it was mature writing and the rendering was really great.

If you can tell me how I can get some more volume on the entire piece, I would like to hear it all again.

Really great, Graham.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    If you can tell me how I can get some more volume on the entire piece, I would like to hear it all again.

Really great, Graham.
    Thanks Jack, this volume problem has happened before on mySpace. I'm going to upload this to the space Gary has provided for us instead. Thanks for tuning in - and I'll fix this before I go to work today.

Kind regards. Graham

Graham, I like this. It has a dramatic appeal to it and the rendering is nice. Also a very playful piano.
    -Jay

Piano Concerto
    Graham Keitch

Movement 1

Movement 2

Movement 3

Graham:

I have followed this with interest since the first movement,
    as you know, Graham; and it was with much pleasure that
    I listened last night and again today to the completed concerto
    in its entirety.

As with your recent excellent orchestral suite, Images of Bude,
    again, I found this work deeply moving; with the distinctive
    Keitch voice and Celtic resonances strong and clear in it.
    This is a work of subtlety and reflection, of images and of
    quiet conversations: It does not shout at you; yet in its gentle
    insistence and revelations, it is a work of power and deepest
    emotion... for which I thank you.

Bravo!

And congratulations, my friend, on another superbly rewarding
    achievement.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Graham, I like this. It has a dramatic appeal to it and the rendering is nice. Also a very playful piano.
    -Jay
    Thanks Jay. The rendering is all Finale 2007 with it's excellent human playback features - although the score is covered with expressions to get it to perform the way I want it to. The piano part bothered me because I'm not a keyboard player but I put bits of the score in front of a couple of friends last night and they played it without too much difficulty - albiet more slowly than in this rendering.

Regards, Graham

[QUOTE=etLux]
    And congratulations, my friend, on another superbly rewarding
    achievement.QUOTE]

Thank you David,

As a very young child, I recall being scared out of my wits when being given my first piano lesson. No further lessons ever followed! I can't change that - but what a marvel that GPO has at least allowed me to make up for lost time. And I can't tell you how much your encouragement and comments mean to me David.

Kind regards, Graham

Hi Graham:

I listened to your piano concerto via David's links in his reply. The volume was normal this time. I am very impressed with your work and I might add that probably the bottom line reaction I had was that this piece (all three movements) is very "tranquill." You have a talent for that genre of music.

The rendering is very, very well done. I am also greatly impressed with your use of Finale 2007. Mine doesn't work very well (2007b, Mac version), but listening to yours gives one impetus to delve more deeply into the secrets of that notation software.

Just beautiful, Graham........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    The rendering is very, very well done. I am also greatly impressed with your use of Finale 2007. Mine doesn't work very well (2007b, Mac version), but listening to yours gives one impetus to delve more deeply into the secrets of that notation software.
    Jack
    Thanks Jack, I appreciate you coming back to this and giving me your comments.

Both the tranquility and rendering probably share a common root - as far as the strings are concerned, I've had to cut the velocity right back. It makes all the difference when trying to create a richer, smoother sound, although it's not always appropriate.

Kind regards, Graham

Graham, sorry for the delay in posting my appreciation for this work.
    I must have missed it somehow, while perusing the listening room.
    Anyway, I downloaded all three movements from David's post. I echo his admiration for your talent. I also agree with the other posts on the recording level issue. As you know my particular forte is my ear? so the only comment I would make is of the "imagine your sitting in the hall listening" type.
    I feel the piano isn't dry enough. It should have ambience but not reverb.
    I myself, often cut corners while using reverb by processing the whole orchestra as one instead of creating a depth in the sound by having loud and/or close instruments dryer than the background. This is a simplification of what actually happens at a live event, it's not that straightforward but, please be sure my comments are not a criticism of your wonderful music.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast