• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spectrasonics samples? A request

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics samples? A request

Wouldn't it be great to have the raw samples used in the RMX loops? The SAGE loops would be so much more versatile with that material; you could completely restructure the beats, just use isolated elements, be completely flexible.

Of course the stretching we have in RMX is superb, but sometimes I would just like to get at the underlying material; the slices mostly contain several elements.

Could this ever be a possiblity? I'm sure it would be a mammoth task, but given the depth of inspiring sound material and the size of Spectrasonic's user base, I'm sure it would be comercially viable, and would actually enable users to be even more original in their use of the material.

Nigel

Re: Spectrasonics samples? A request

I can't say that I disagree, but think about it: When they record, say a drum loop, it isn't necassarily isolated at all at any point. Its not like they are using drum samples and piecing them together with MIDI. Those are all real drummers playing in real rooms, that's why they sound so good. Once you try to isolate all the sounds, you lose that magic of a real drummer recorded with good gear. I'm sure that is why they put the extra sound libraries in there, to accomodate that need. I'm sure that this might be possible with some of the loops in RMX, but I think the majority, in particular the drum loops, wouldn't be able to be isolated in the way you are talking about and have is sound right.

Have you fully explored the Sound Menus? Tons of individual hits there to piece together your own loops/tracks with.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

All the available individual sounds are already presented in the Sound Menus and Kit Modules. (over 10,000 individual sounds are there in the RMX core library)

All the sounds from the other loops were never isolated as they were based on live performance events.

Arrow Re: Spectrasonics samples? A request

Thanks for the replies. It's true RMX has very many individual sounds in the Core Library, but AFAI can see, the sound menus do not refer to the loops at all, so really they exist kind of separately.

I understand that a complete kit performance is more tricky to separate into individual sounds & hits. I'm actually thinking more of some of the less acoustic stuff, Metamorphosis in particular. Often I'm sonically inspired by a groove, but I would like to be able to take any sound out of its groove and mould it into my own groove.

Many sounds are layered, even when the parts of the loops are presented in sub-mixes in the menus. A case in point would be "Jewelz" or "Eclipse Tower" in Metamorphosis , where a kick is layed with a cool sound. It would be nice to have them both isolated.

It seems to me that the Spectrasonics sound material is so excellent, it could be further exploited by offering the component parts in a more flexible way. But according to what Eric said, this doesn't seem possible.

This is not a complaint! I have endless fun with RMX and it's such a productive tool. I'd just like to be able to get deeper into some of the sound layers.

Or is there something/some method I've missed?

Nigel

Go Back to forum