• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Old GPO Presets >> K2 Player ??

Share/Bookmark

Old GPO Presets >> K2 Player ??

Hey folks! I've got a bunch of presets for the original GPO player saved as *.fxb files. (I've also got them saved as SONAR VSTi/DXi list presets.) Is there any way to transfer those into the new K2 player interface? If not, it's gonna be a BIG hassle to re-create them.

The custom presets include instrument ensembles, panning & levels settings & various other stuff that I frequently use in my writing. I tried to open one of the *.fxb files in the new K2 player interface and it gave me a "The selected effect file is not for this plug-in" error message.

Re: Old GPO Presets >> K2 Player ??

Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news but you almost certainly will not be able to import your old files to the new player. There have been too many changes to the new player for NI to retain backward compatibility in an update as extensive as this. Wish I could suggest an easy way to bring in all of your custom K1.5 settings but I can't.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths
    I tried to open one of the *.fxb files in the new K2 player interface and it gave me a "The selected effect file is not for this plug-in" error message.
    To make Tom's news even worse, NI changed the internal "plug-in ID" (which is embedded in the .fxb/.fxp files) between versions 1.5 and 2.x, and since the two GPO Players use the respective engines there was no choice in the matter. This means that not even users of the Kontakt 2 Full version can use the old 1.5-based .fxb/.fxp files.

But there's good news too! At least this time around you can save your presets to .nki files and place them in a directory structure how you desire! Just make sure your custom programs are saved in a subdirectory under GPO's "Instruments" directory, and then you can load them from the GPO's menus. If you name your top level save directory "0. CUSTOM", then it will be at the top of the list. Also, after you have an instrument loaded, you can use the arrow icons to the right of the instrument name to step through other instruments in that same directory.

Oh, and an extra tip: Save with the "absolute sample paths" checkbox turned OFF, so that if you move you GPO directory your programs can still find the samples, and it will allow you to more easily share .nki files with other users.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Well, I just went ahead last night and spent 3 or so hours re-creating them in the new K2 engine. They are all now saved as *.nkm files, so hopefully this won't happen with my next engine update.

On the flip side, the new engine looks great. You can see some more of my comments and some other SONAR user comments in this thread:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1000948

Responses so for (including mine) are VERY positive. Thanks SO MUCH to Gary and NI for carrying through with this as promised. I've been a bit dis-enchanted with NI for some time; but this is re-establishing some confidence.

...GREAT WORK GUYS!

Markelford,

It looks like we crossed posts. Thanks for all the info. I noticed the "Absolute Paths" option last night but left it checked. I'll go back and re-save my stuff with that UN-checked. Thanks for the heads-up.

I saved everything as *.nkm files because most of my presets are custom multi-instrument setups. Do the *.nki files also save multis, or are they just single-instrument presets?

I'm glad to have my gut-feeling about the presets confirmed. Hopefully NI will continue to support this preset save format for some time.

I already discovered the plug-in ID change. This is a pain; but I did fully expect this. As you said, the engine has changed so much. If SONAR had a "substitute instrument" option (as it's little brother P5 has), this wouldn't be a big deal. I'll just have to go through and manually switch the tracks to instances of the new player with the same presets (re-created by me) loaded. Ahhhh.....the joys of modern technology. I can compose for a whole orchestra on my computer -- as long as I don't mind taking on a full-time job as orchestra general manager. [i.e. it always seems like SOMETHING on this PC needs to be fixed, updated, changed, replaced, tweaked, re-built, re-created, etc.]

Markelford -- one quick question:

If I save with "absolute sample paths" off, then move my presets folder, how does the K2 engine handle re-locating samples? Does it just prompt and then auto-search like the old engine?

This only applies if I move the PRESETS files (not the program files or VSTi DLL file directory) right? I ask because I occasionally re-arrange my VSTi DLLs to better organize that folder. And I can't think of a reason to re-install GPO to a different program folder....but I figured I'd ask anyway. ...better to know early.

I noticed the "Absolute Paths" option last night but left it checked. I'll go back and re-save my stuff with that UN-checked.
    Note that this is most useful when the samples and .nki/.nkm files are in the *same* directory structure. On the other hand, if you're saving your instrument files *away* from the sample, then it's not so important as you'll have to relocate the samples if they move all the same.

I saved everything as *.nkm files because most of my presets are custom multi-instrument setups. Do the *.nki files also save multis, or are they just single-instrument presets?
    The later: .nki for Instruments, .nkm for multis.

I'm glad to have my gut-feeling about the presets confirmed. Hopefully NI will continue to support this preset save format for some time.
    At this point all you have to worry about are *backward*-compatibility issues. Kontakt 2 Player saves in 2.2.1 format, so someone with a full version of Kontakt 2.2.0 would be unable to load your files. *That* is also unfortunate, and I wish NI didn't decide to do that, but hopefully most people will update eventually.

If SONAR had a "substitute instrument" option (as it's little brother P5 has), this wouldn't be a big deal.
    Yes, as a SONAR user I'm unfortunately (painfully!) familiar with that run-around process!

Mind, you *can* run the two versions of GPO side by side. Unless you absolutely need the new features, you might as well keep old projects using the old version!

Ahhhh.....the joys of modern technology.
    You said it.

- m

OK...thanks for all the answers.

I've got my GPO samples stored on my saparate "samples" HDD. Right now, I'm also saving the presets in a higher level path on the same drive. But I could have reason to move them. In any event, none of this is according to the installation defaults.

Now I just need to buy a laptop so that I don't have to re-learn all of this stuff every time I come home. I've been out of town more than home this winter/spring......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

If I save with "absolute sample paths" off, then move my presets folder, how does the K2 engine handle re-locating samples? Does it just prompt and then auto-search like the old engine?
    It will open a dialog to allow you to either auto-search or specify where the directory is.

This only applies if I move the PRESETS files (not the program files or VSTi DLL file directory) right? I ask because I occasionally re-arrange my VSTi DLLs to better organize that folder. And I can't think of a reason to re-install GPO to a different program folder....but I figured I'd ask anyway. ...better to know early.
    Moving the DLL files won't affect the file paths.

And in the name of "knowing early", if you *do* have to change the location of your data files, you can adjust this in the K2 Player interface: "Options|Handling|Installation base path". I also think that it might prompt you with this automatically if it senses a change, but don't necessarily count on that!

You'd also have to "relocate samples" for old projects anyway: keeping a relative file structure pretty much just helps you with external .nki/.nkm management. Hopefully you won't have to change your directory structure though!

- m

How does the Library Path option fit into all of this?? It was pointing to some phantom directory when I first installed. I changed it to match my samples HDD GPO path; but that didn't fix my missing samples. Soooo...I just dug up the ContentDir entry in the Registry and modified it there -- VOILA.

So I'm left wondering what the "Library Path" option DOES affect.

Go Back to forum