• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: March For A Dear Friend

Share/Bookmark

March For A Dear Friend

Here is the tune I've been working on when hearing of the untimely death of my best friend for 40 years yesterday morning at the age of 54. I have a fasination for New Orleans music and this was building towards a representation of it. I'm posting now because I don't think I can finish it.
    I hurt

Ray

March For A Dear Friend

Re: March For A Dear Friend

[QUOTE=rayzalaf] I'm posting now because I don't think I can finish it.
    QUOTE]

An unfinished (but beautiful piece) for a life cut short.

Our thoughts are with you my friend.

Graham

[quote=GrahamKeitch]
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I'm posting now because I don't think I can finish it.
    QUOTE]

An unfinished (but beautiful piece) for a life cut short.

Our thoughts are with you my friend.

Graham
    Thanks Graham,

I'm glad you liked this piece. I've tried to capture the individual yet grouped playing of live musicians that perhaps only play together at funerals.
    I did start it before my friend passed away, I'm sure it's just coincidental he left now so suddenly. I may sometime in the future add the clarinet etc. but not now.

Ray

I've looped playback while I respond.

Any of us who have experienced loss will certainly have our thoughts with you.

Having lived in the N'alins area, and having been fond of the music from an early age (quite some time ago, but don't tell!), I think I can tell you that you've captured some of the key elements of the funeral march: pathos, humor, simplicity. Your piece is well done, and--in a manner of speaking--finished. What would lend "completeness" would be the individual improvs and the collective improvs . . . both of which will come to you one day when at a remove from your loss your friend comes to you.

Please accept my condolences over your loss.

Joe

Ray,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. At least he had 54 years. That's more than a lot of people get. My cousin died a few years ago at the age of 50 from diabetes. Life is short so live it now.

I haven't listened to your piece yet. I will come back to it later.

With condolences,

Joe

Hi Ray,

I'm so sorry You have my deepest sympathies.

This piece is very much in the New Orleans style. It's very nice and I like it a lot.

Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette
    I've looped playback while I respond.

Any of us who have experienced loss will certainly have our thoughts with you.

Having lived in the N'alins area, and having been fond of the music from an early age (quite some time ago, but don't tell!), I think I can tell you that you've captured some of the key elements of the funeral march: pathos, humor, simplicity. Your piece is well done, and--in a manner of speaking--finished. What would lend "completeness" would be the individual improvs and the collective improvs . . . both of which will come to you one day when at a remove from your loss your friend comes to you.

Please accept my condolences over your loss.

Joe
    Joe, thanks for your kind words,

From someone much closer to the area and music as I'll ever be, you have already given me a sense of achievement. Although I'm passionate even obsessed by music, I haven't studied music. Therefore I do my best to create the sound of a genre without really understanding the individual playing techniques used on instruments other than guitar that musicians would perform as second nature. I do intend studying more and learning more.

My sorrow is self pity at the moment but my thoughts are with my best friend's wife Gina and their four children, the youngest just 18 and in a daze of disbelief.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    Ray,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. At least he had 54 years. That's more than a lot of people get. My cousin died a few years ago at the age of 50 from diabetes. Life is short so live it now.

I haven't listened to your piece yet. I will come back to it later.

With condolences,

Joe
    Joe, thanks for the kind words I'll catch you soon

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi Ray,

I'm so sorry You have my deepest sympathies.

This piece is very much in the New Orleans style. It's very nice and I like it a lot.

Take Care,
    Steph
    Steph, as I posted earlier, it is initially self pity one feels with such a loss, but my main concern is for his family. Gina, his wife has already asked if I would teach her to play his guitar which just crushes me inside. My wife and I are going to visit her and the kids this evening.

I'm glad you like my piece, it's not all JABB though, the tuba is.

Thanks Steph

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Ray I think it is wonderful that you can express your feelings in music, for a dear friend. I am sure that whenever you hear this piece, it will remind of that person.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast