Share/Bookmark

Lesson 2A - Achieving blended Harmony for Winds

INTERACTIVE
    COMMON PROBLEMS IN ORCHESTRATION
    by Professor Alan Belkin

Lesson 2A - Achieving Blended Harmony for Winds

Click on Play Button below to Play from the Score

Comments from Professor Belkin on Example No. B1:
    This example presents our second orchestration problem: using winds as harmony instruments. While using one
    woodwind instrument alone as a melodic soloist is fairly straightforward, making the whole family blend into
    harmony is quite difficult, because the instruments are really not from the same family.

On the top two staves we present an extract from a Bach chorale (N.B. These two staves do NOT play back). The
    string orchestra version below (which does play back) will serve us as a basis for comparison, since, unlike winds,
    strings blend beautifully. Notice how it is quite hard to distinguish what the middle parts are doing here, except
    when they move faster than the outer parts. This is typical of a good blend.

Assignment: Try to set this chorale for woodwinds, first piano and then forte. Aim for a blended sound.

When you are ready to go on to the next lesson, click here.

To Go to the Welcome Page to start the course, go here.

©Alan Belkin, 2006

What instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Assignment: Try to set this chorale for woodwinds, first piano and then forte. Aim for a blended sound.

I am not very clear about this assignment. Should I use one of each ww instrument ( flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon), or in pairs, or triple? It seems like that I should use one of each flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon. I appreciate if If you clarify this.
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum