• Register
  • Help

Topic: EAST WEST orchestral libraries

Share/Bookmark

EAST WEST orchestral libraries

I was wondering how you guys approach this library. Apperently, samples are recorded with 3 miks. There's an option to use multi samples which features all 3 miks. I did a project using all multi samples, but the whole thing just sounded like a wash. Reverb was just too much...i wanted to know if you guys have any usage for those multi samples....or in general which banks do you use the most? like the ones with close miking, or midfield miking? thanks for advise.

Re: EAST WEST orchestral libraries

Hey

Are you adjusting the levels for each of the three? Try pulling back on the far and even the front mics a bit.

I tend to use a combination of the close mics with either front or hall (but not always all three). The reason for this is that I work with a lot of solo/ensemble arrangements where I don't need/want the bigger sound. As I've discovered, the close mics are really designed to spot certain instruments, not so much with a tighter studio sound.

When you say "reverb" I assume you mean the natural tail produced by the hall itself in the far samples? Again, you can always adjust this, though you probably want some natural ambience.

pax

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's what i was looking for, "that tighter sound". NO, i didn't mess with the levels at all. Let's say when i loaded multi sample "18 violins", i just used them as they were set by default. ok, so you pull back on the far mic little bit to adjust the ambience .........i'm not so sure what you meant by saying close mics are used to spot certain instruments though? ...........is it practicle to avoid the multi, and just use the close mic option and then use plug ins such as waves to adjust the reverb later? ...what if i'm doing a pop arrangement and not orchestral? how would you choose your settings for a pop arrangement?

For more pop oriented stuff, use only the close mics. And even then, the ambience that is on those close mic'd samples is probably too much, but it's less noticeable, especially in a dense mix.

You could always edit the release parameter on just the release samples, to try and dry it up a bit, but IMO that doesn't work all that well. Still, it might be just what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    For more pop oriented stuff, use only the close mics. And even then, the ambience that is on those close mic'd samples is probably too much, but it's less noticeable, especially in a dense mix.

You could always edit the release parameter on just the release samples, to try and dry it up a bit, but IMO that doesn't work all that well. Still, it might be just what you want to hear.

Yeah, i was also thinking about that. Even the close miked samples have too much reverb for pop sounds. So what library do you guys use if you work on pop arrangements and not orchestral sound?

Quote Originally Posted by synthuser
    I think the manual talks a bit about their recommended approach with the three mic configurations. I only have the F mics (gold), and I would personally want that to be my standard mixing and sketching configuration, using the close mics to pull certain sections/solo instruments forward in the mix, and using the ambient mics to add space and additional reverb. If you're just mixing stereo, you may find that F mics get you most of the sound you want.
    amazing. I experimented with what you recommanded and it worked far better from my original mix. lots of thanks for that

what i normally do , i arrange the music in Finale, then i import it into pro tools, or any sequencer for that matter. then i send those midi tracks to the plug ins, and record the output of them. Now, does it make sense if i create a mono audio track and just pan to let's say 25 L in the case of violins, or i should just create a stereo track and not worry about panning, because they've been recorded in the right position on the stage anyways?

Actually, what I've done with the choirs, and works surprisingly well is to use only the F mics, and then add a tad of SIR reverb (some hall or something). not a lot. Just something to bring them back. I find that with an orchestra it sounds exactly as it should!

I've not done this with gold, but I suspect but it's the same things, only will get things muddier, for the lack of clearer sounds around...

Go Back to forum