• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Help Bad!!!

Share/Bookmark

Need Help Bad!!!

hi, i just bought a macbook pro a litle while ago. i got the 2.33, so its pretty much as good as they come. i am using logic express, but i have encountered an enormous problem. when i play even just a few instruments at once it cracks and skips like crazy!!! what do i do? i went to audio hardware and i didn't really know what to set everything to. i also went to the kontakt player 2 settings and lowerd the buffer size down to 128, but nothing. this is pretty unbelievable seeing as my crummy pc ran everything just fine. i can't imagine this computer not being able to handle GPO!!! anyway, someone... anyone... PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Need Help Bad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    hi, i just bought a macbook pro a litle while ago. i got the 2.33, so its pretty much as good as they come. i am using logic express, but i have encountered an enormous problem. when i play even just a few instruments at once it cracks and skips like crazy!!! what do i do? i went to audio hardware and i didn't really know what to set everything to. i also went to the kontakt player 2 settings and lowerd the buffer size down to 128, but nothing. this is pretty unbelievable seeing as my crummy pc ran everything just fine. i can't imagine this computer not being able to handle GPO!!! anyway, someone... anyone... PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Raise the buffers to 1,024 and see if that helps.

Gary garritan

what does buffer size mean? does it affect sound quality?
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    what does buffer size mean? does it affect sound quality?
    Keith,

you mentioned below you set you buffer size to 128. That is too low, just raise it. Also check your soundcard settings and check the buffer sizes there as well. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

that did help, i'm flying now. thanks for the advice.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Just another question about your setup.

Are you using the version of Logic Express that's Universal Binary? That would be version 7.2.3
    If you are using version 7.1, it would still see your PowerPC version of GPO, but both the host (Logic Express) and GPO would both run in Rosetta, which is Apple's software emulation of PowerPC hardware. That would tax your system pretty significantly.

Did you figure out how to do multi-timbral instances of GPO in Logic Express? It took me a while to do it, but now I can load just two instances of Kontakt 2 to get 32 midi channels. There are a couple of really good tutorials on how to do that on the Garritan website.
    Otherwise you end up loading one instance of GPO per instrument, and that can get taxing pretty quickly.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

thgmusic - i'm using the newest logic express version right now. when i load the instruments up i'll try and use as few kontakt players as possible. for example, i'll try and put all the strings on one. what i'll do is open a player for the 1st audio instrument and put a few tracks to run through the midi 1 channel (1st chair violins - players 1,2,3). then for the second chair i'll do the same for audio instrument 2 (assuming its more violins), but i will set the channel to Instrument 1, and put the midi channel to 2. this way i can load the reverb and compressor and whatever other effects into one player for all those instruments. i'm not sure what you mean by multi-timbral instances, but thats cause i'm dumb when it comes to this sort of stuff.

anyway, thats how i do it. if you know of a better way please let me know - i'm always looking for better ways of doing things. well anyway, thanks for the comments.
    -Keith Fuller

---

keithjfuller,

How much ram do you have. Stuff as much ram in that puppy as you can afford, Set your buffers as high as they will go. I have not used GPO in over a year because of vision problems, but I used to find that it was better to load fewer instruments into each instance of the player but have more instances than to load only a few instances to their max.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, since I don't have an Intel Mac, but if all else fails, get a version of Windows XP and a Windows DAW. Run it under Boot Camp and you will find that it leaves your old PC in it's dust.

I can't believe I said that. I think I hear the Apple police at my door to wash my mouth out with soap.

Best regards,

Karl Garrett
    http://garrettguitar.com/

Go Back to forum