• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String Quartet Live recording...

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet Live recording...

Hello!

I'm here to present you with my latest work for my PhD. It's not easy listening and has nothing to do with samples, as it is live...

I'm not a long time member and I don't have most Garritan libraries, but the strad which I am using atm to a work to be presented later.

I did ponder on where to post here or on the NSS samples forum, but somehow found this forums to be much more open minded and more "artistic", which certainly is the case here...

Never the less I would love to see your reactions, feedback to this.

www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/intmusic.mp3 (6 Mb) (<-the music)
    www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/intmusic.pdf (300 Kb) (<-the score)

the waveform (since I use them in my site why not?)

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Hello!
    I'm here to present you with my latest work for my PhD. It's not easy listening and has nothing to do with samples, as it is live...
    Nikolas, this is beautifully written and well performed. Not an easy piece - but by no means too challenging on the ear, which I would say is to your credit. In places, you start to take us into that territory, but you carefully avoid taking us too far.

I don't think anybody here minds the occasional non sampled posting if it's inspirational, as this is. Well done indeed!

Ok, who's up for rendering this with the Garritan Strad!?

Regards, Graham

Re: String Quartet Live recording...

Thanks Garham,

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Ok, who's up for rendering this with the Garritan Strad!?
    A few pages back somebody (me) checked with Gary on the progress of the viola... Guess why?

Thank you Stephen,

Glad you enjoyed the work. I am glad that Graham found it not too challenging for the ear, which iws always a big plus for me...

I would mention the performers, only I only know the 3 out of the 4 names, so I'm waiting for an e-mail with the cellist in order to mention all of them.

I would really like to thank them for the amazing job they did! I mean, it's not a dead easy piece to play with all those 4:3 ratios out there... :-/ But they, indeed, did a great job!

Thumbs up Re: String Quartet Live recording...

nikolas,

This is extremely well written serious piece of music, which I very much enjoyed.
    Several 4:3 sounds very natural and I think the quartet did a splendid work on this not easy-to-play piece of music.

Congratulations.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Masterful!, Nicholas
    Btw, how long did they get to rehearse?
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Thank you Jun for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed it

Thanks Vic. Actually the rehearsals between them and me present were about 30-40 minutes, and then the recording at once! I have no idea if they had checked the scores before hand, but they did have them a couple of weeks ago, so they could've had a look. The cellist however was called at the last moment and was definately sight reading, which alone is incredible for me!

As I said in our PM, Nikolas, excellent work! And
    beautifully performed, as well. Many congratulations!

And hey, you know, Graham has a great idea, above.
    I wonder if some one of our family, here, who's first-
    rate with solo strings [er, that would exclude me,
    obviously... rofl] might take a shot at rendering this
    with the Garritan libraries...? The piece certainly
    merits the attention; and it would be fascinating and
    instructive to hear the comparison.

Oh, and I really must not forget to give this one a...

Bravo!

Innovative and highly skillful writing in this, Nikolas;
    and for my part, a highly listenable and satisfying
    modern work.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thakn you David. Much obliged Glad you're enjoying listening to my work.

If anyone wants (although the viola is still missing), I would have no problem to that. Actually if this would help, I could very easily give the person to do it, the midi files from Finale (4 seperate tracks of course), and the score is already available as well as the real life recording...

Gary? Will you give me to beta test the viola, on this? Not sure I would make a good job as I've never had time to try the strad yet (the prementioned piece is on paper still... :-/) and don't have the gofriller, but I would certainly try... That is if no one else would offer/volunteer for the job.

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the music. Really really glad!

Superb Writing Nikolas, and well done to the performers too.

I think it is nice when the occasional real-world versions of pieces invades these forums devoted to Samples.

regards Joe

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast