• Register
  • Help

Topic: Playability of Sam Brass?

Share/Bookmark

Playability of Sam Brass?

I asked this question within another thread but I think it got buried. Sorry to add to the flurry of "which library?" questions.

I'm thinking of picking up a copy of SAM Brass and/or solo sessions. Clearly the SOUND is superior, but how is the playability/intuitiveness? For example:

-Are the dynamics playable? Can I *play* a crescendo (with mod/expression crossfades) or am I stuck with pre-recorded crescendos that may or may not fit my tempo?

-How about the famed "repeated stacatto" sounds--are these playable round-robin samples or are they pre-recorded "hold down a key and it will play a bunch of repeated notes in the recorded tempo" patches?

I don't like having to stitch together a million different articulations just to get a realistic line, so I prefer libraries with intuitive keyswitch/crossfade possibilities.

If anyone can elaborate on the different keyswitch / crossfade / etc. options in SAM brass, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Playability of Sam Brass?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I asked this question within another thread but I think it got buried. Sorry to add to the flurry of "which library?" questions.

I'm thinking of picking up a copy of SAM Brass and/or solo sessions. Clearly the SOUND is superior, but how is the playability/intuitiveness? For example:

-Are the dynamics playable? Can I *play* a crescendo (with mod/expression crossfades) or am I stuck with pre-recorded crescendos that may or may not fit my tempo?

-How about the famed "repeated stacatto" sounds--are these playable round-robin samples or are they pre-recorded "hold down a key and it will play a bunch of repeated notes in the recorded tempo" patches?

I don't like having to stitch together a million different articulations just to get a realistic line, so I prefer libraries with intuitive keyswitch/crossfade possibilities.

If anyone can elaborate on the different keyswitch / crossfade / etc. options in SAM brass, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
    chris.

yes you can but the manual and myself suggest you to use the pre-recorded crescendos (slow, fast or sfz) . they are more realistic!

you will find both. i created a RRx4 for staccato and staccatissimo sample that alternates automatically. i always use them.

i'm creating only 1 keyswitch for each instrument so i can have it in only 1 midi channel ....write me a p.m. if you want to know more!

Go Back to forum